Sign in to follow this  

need help with wp pds shock

just got a 1998 KTM 300 EXC and the shock is in need of a rebuild, no fluid remaining or if there is it isn't dampening it at all.  Not sure of the model number.  It has 2750 stamped on the lower mounting braket and the number 97, but can't seem to find any info on it.  Biggest initial problem is dissasembly.  I don't see how i can get the bottom spring plate off so I can remove the spring and continue breaking it down. there is not a groove in the bottom plate that allows it to slide off the shaft after the spring tension is released.  Dose it have to be unscrewed from the head?  any good sorces for rebuild parts?  shock.jpg

Trust me on this , that shock has serious shortcomings and will cost you nearly what the bike is worth , try to get a second hand one from eBay , I think years up to 05 fit but hopefully others will chime in and confirm , your shock has design flaws that cause this

yeah, looking at some on Ebay.  Looks like someone dissasembled this from the top and made a one piece spring plate....which is not wide enough to go over the main body...odd