Sign in to follow this  

Does anyone make there own equipment?

I don't see the point in going out and paying 100 bucks for a bike stand that I easily make in my shed. I have around 7 bikes at home so I wouldent spend around a thousand just for something to put them all on! I thought myself to weld when I was 15 and I'm 17 now. Does anyone else make there own stuff instead of buying? (There just a few stands I made quick today) ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400591944.153716.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400591959.486257.jpg

• Like 2

I don't see the point in going out and paying 100 bucks for a bike stand that I easily make in my shed. I have around 7 bikes at home so I wouldent spend around a thousand just for something to put them all on! I thought myself to weld when I was 15 and I'm 17 now. Does anyone else make there own stuff instead of buying? (There just a few stands I made quick today) attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400591944.153716.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400591959.486257.jpg

I think you might need to widen the base a bit. I don't think that is going to be a very stable stand. Looks good otherwise though. Here is a couple I made out of wood. Cost me about 5 bucks each to make.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1400592541.489577.jpg

Edited by carters2
  • Like 2

I always used a milk crate with wood stacked on top.

Then my brother bought me a lift stand.

A friend of mine built an alloy lift stand, unfortunately it doesn't work as well as the ones you buy.

I always used a milk crate with wood stacked on top.

Then my brother bought me a lift stand.

A friend of mine built an alloy lift stand, unfortunately it doesn't work as well as the ones you buy.

Of course home made stands will never work as well as factory made lift stands but as long as you don't mind lifting the bike yourself they do fine. We'll they do for me anyways

I built a stand until one was a Christmas gift. No pictures of it though, I've heard of people making their own chain guides and things alike. I'd like to see a picture of one of those

Of course home made stands will never work as well as factory made lift stands but as long as you don't mind lifting the bike yourself they do fine. We'll they do for me anyways

It was a home made mechanical lift stand so it was a more ambitious project.... all it needed was a few tweaks to the design and it would have been awesome.

He's also made ordinary stands that work great.

I've considered making one myself, but I reckon it's be too heavy with the steel I have.

I did make my own trailer though. I use flux core, trying to get some argon so I can swap over to solid wire, so do more fine steel such as exhausts and car panels.

I built a stand until one was a Christmas gift. No pictures of it though, I've heard of people making their own chain guides and things alike. I'd like to see a picture of one of those

Actually thinking of it my friend made a chain guests out of a block of nylon for his crf250, came out pretty good IMO

Actually thinking of it my friend made a chain guests out of a block of nylon for his crf250, came out pretty good IMO

I wouldn't mind learning how...

It was a home made mechanical lift stand so it was a more ambitious project.... all it needed was a few tweaks to the design and it would have been awesome.

He's also made ordinary stands that work great.

I've considered making one myself, but I reckon it's be too heavy with the steel I have.

I did make my own trailer though. I use flux core, trying to get some argon so I can swap over to solid wire, so do more fine steel such as exhausts and car panels.

I tried (and failed) at making a mechanical lift, I got the lifting mechanism right but I need to figure out how to make the actual stand, I don't wanna copy a factory one there's no fun in that!

I wouldn't mind learning how...

Lots of trial and error, and being good with a lathe! Which I am not haha
  • Like 1

Just a couple of shots of the guide and sliders I make when I need a new one instead of buying over priced pieces of plastic.

1400596428756.jpg

1400596649316.jpg

1400596706431.jpg

• Like 1

Looked at that picture, saw the pipe, thought to myself:

Heythatsmydent!

Hahaa...yeah I was kinda waiting for that! She's all better now though. Got a brand new fmf gnarly! Actually that little dent aint shit..I have to post a pic of it before I removed it.

Just a couple of shots of the guide and sliders I make when I need a new one instead of buying over priced pieces of plastic.

Does any kind of instructional write up exist for these? Or is it just a "if you can figure it out you can reap the benefits of it"i imagine it's made on a mill?

Looked at that picture, saw the pipe, thought to myself:

Heythatsmydent!

Dent and stand

DSC05746_zps3b6a028c.jpg

It looks worse now, unserviceable without bending back to shape every ride :(

• Like 1

Actually I just used my old parts for templates and used a jig saw.... Easy lol

What material did you use man