Sign in to follow this  

New member needs suggestions

Hi guys new member here with a question. I am looking to pick up a bike soon possibly this week. My two oldest sons got bikes recently and I will be helping them to learn on has a ssr110 the other a xr70. Anyways I'm looking for a trail bike and have narrowed down to a 97 Xr 400 a 2004 crf230 or a xr 250. This will be my first bike I would say my skill is novice to intermediate. Will the 400 be too much for me also is the crf230 as bulletproof as the xr? Just looking to trail ride hill climb and possibly rip a few wheelies here and there no hardcore mx stuff. I'm 6 ft 190 lbs any suggestions would be great thanks.

Get the crf, it's a great bike to learn on and requires very little maintenance. Just make sure you change the airfilter and change the oil after every other ride and you will have no problems with the bike and would probably only have to replace small things like throttle and clutch cables and levers etc

• Like 1

Sorry guys just realized there is a what bike should I buy section f'n new guys

• Like 2

A lot of us TTalkers look at things from a competitive standpoint, so it's hard for me to suggest a CRF 230 to someone who's 6' tall and knows the mechanics of riding.  I would go with a bigger bike like an older YZ 250.  You can make it very tame, and as you improve you'll find yourself with a bike that doesn't need to be replaced. 

But if your sole goal is just trailing around and teaching your kids, the XR 400 would be my pick of your list above.  Just do the air filter every ride, oil every 10 hours or less.

• Like 1

The 230 is gutless. Spend wisely and get whichever XR is in the better condition. Hopefully the 400. Power to spare.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies yea I'm looking for something that I won't be looking to sell in a year or two as my skills improve any thoughts on the kdx200

Thanks all for the replies yea I'm looking for something that I won't be looking to sell in a year or two as my skills improve any thoughts on the kdx200

Kdx will be a better bike for you. 230 is underpowered and under sprung, especially at your size. You will get bored quickly
  • Like 1

Btw these little ssr 110 are surprisingly powerful for a 110cc bike at 500 bucks

Edited by Jwrobin1

The kdx is a really good bike for trails And will have room for you to improve your skills for a long time.

I'm a little biased here since I have a 97 XR400 R and think for your size thats a good choice. I ride out west a lot and the extra power is great.

They are bullitproof as far as maintenance,just change the oil and air cleaner often. The rest is just normal brake pads etc.In my case a set of tires every year because the rocks out west eat tires.You might also look into a 50 tooth rear sprocket because stock is a little high for the riding that you will do in Ohio.

• Like 1

The kdx is a really good bike for trails And will have room for you to improve your skills for a long time.

I bought a KDX 200 when I was 17, but I quickly outgrew it because I already had a lifetime of quad and biking experience.  Moved to Cali when I was 18, bought a CR 500.  What a jump, aye?

I'm a little biased here since I have a 97 XR400 R and think for your size thats a good choice. I ride out west a lot and the extra power is great.

They are bullitproof as far as maintenance,just change the oil and air cleaner often. The rest is just normal brake pads etc.In my case a set of tires every year because the rocks out west eat tires.You might also look into a 50 tooth rear sprocket because stock is a little high for the riding that you will do in Ohio.

I would run a new set of tires every ride if I could lol

It never fails, every time I change a set of tires I'm reminded how much better fresh shoes are.  I'll never forget when I was broke like 7 years ago, I ran my tires down til almost all the side knobs were ripped off the front tire.  New tires I couldn't believe how much more precise my lines became; I turn right, it went right instead of kinda right.  Neither did I fall nearly as much. 

Then I grew up a little, got my suspension done on my KTM.  WOW.  Now I rarely touch the ground.