Sign in to follow this  

How much training vs practice?

For you guys that are seriously racing how often are you working out at the gym and cross training vs actually practicing at the track?  Right now I'm working out twice a week, (insanity class and running/rowing) and practicing at the track at least once sometimes twice a week for about 1.5 hours.

I workout (mainly lift weights) 5 days a week. I've been doing that for the past 4 years. I ride once, maybe twice a week if I'm lucky. If I had the resources and didn't care to be a skinny weakling, I'd ride 5 days a week and maybe run/cycle now and then. That's basically what I did when I was in my teens.

I find that in the majority of athletic sports, the serious strength/endurance training should happen during the off season (assuming you have an off season).  If you have winters like I do here in ohio, there is definitely 4+ months when the riding conditions suck.  So those are good months to really focus on getting into the gym, and weight training.  I prefer weight training since I believe that its more beneficial than cardio.  Most people that go running, are really just jogging at a moderate pace that they can handle for a long time.  I don't feel like that transfers all that well in most athletic sporting competitions.  Even in motocross, its more of a sprint than a marathon.  When the bike is really fighting you, its going to test your physical strength, and the closer you are to using your maximum strength, the quicker you will fatigue.  I think circuit weight training is the best, and stick to the compound movements.  Dead lifts, squats, bench press, pull ups, rows, and dips are about all you need to develop good muscle strength and endurance.  If you want to do some running, then do sprints, that will be far more beneficial than jogging for an hour. 

During the riding season, scale back that weight training and get out and ride.  The more skilled you are on the bike, the less energy it will take to ride at a given pace.  In professional sports, the majority of weight training and conditioning happens prior to the season, you don't want you players fatigued from the workout the day or two prior.  If you want to be able to give 100% effort, you need to be 100% recovered.  Keep in mind that if your a drinker like myself, this increases the amount of time it takes to recover from strenuous exercise.  Be mindful of that, and avoid having more than a drink or two on the same day as an intense ride or workout.   

• Like 2

Great feedback guys.  Its hard to find time to escape to the track with the family and all.  I can go to the gym with my wife much easier.  I also think circuit training or high Intensity Interval training like Insanity helps a lot.  Nothing beats practice I agree but its hard to get to the track more then once a week for me. 

Great feedback guys.  Its hard to find time to escape to the track with the family and all.  I can go to the gym with my wife much easier.  I also think circuit training or high Intensity Interval training like Insanity helps a lot.  Nothing beats practice I agree but its hard to get to the track more then once a week for me. 

Then that's what you got to do.  Just make sure you have recovered from your workouts before you hit the track.  You don't want you one day a week at the track to be less effective because your still sore from your workouts.  You want to be 100% when your on the bike. 

• Like 1

I find that in the majority of athletic sports, the serious strength/endurance training should happen during the off season (assuming you have an off season).  If you have winters like I do here in ohio, there is definitely 4+ months when the riding conditions suck.  So those are good months to really focus on getting into the gym, and weight training.  I prefer weight training since I believe that its more beneficial than cardio.  Most people that go running, are really just jogging at a moderate pace that they can handle for a long time.  I don't feel like that transfers all that well in most athletic sporting competitions.  Even in motocross, its more of a sprint than a marathon.  When the bike is really fighting you, its going to test your physical strength, and the closer you are to using your maximum strength, the quicker you will fatigue.  I think circuit weight training is the best, and stick to the compound movements.  Dead lifts, squats, bench press, pull ups, rows, and dips are about all you need to develop good muscle strength and endurance.  If you want to do some running, then do sprints, that will be far more beneficial than jogging for an hour. 

During the riding season, scale back that weight training and get out and ride.  The more skilled you are on the bike, the less energy it will take to ride at a given pace.  In professional sports, the majority of weight training and conditioning happens prior to the season, you don't want you players fatigued from the workout the day or two prior.  If you want to be able to give 100% effort, you need to be 100% recovered.  Keep in mind that if your a drinker like myself, this increases the amount of time it takes to recover from strenuous exercise.  Be mindful of that, and avoid having more than a drink or two on the same day as an intense ride or workout.   

agree 100% when i train for motocross cardio wise. i train high intesity for max 30 mins and trying to be at the edge of anerobic. got great results of this when i was on 125's

• Like 1

I'm with them

In the winter (i ain't ice racing) I'm in the gym 3 days off for 1. This just keeps cycling until I can ride. At that point I usually ride one day a weekend, go for a good long bicycle ride the other day of the weekend. gym 3 days a week and I ride my bike from home to the gym, around 30km round trip. Race weekends are two days with two 15 plus 1 motos per day.

My muscles recover faster if I keep going to the gym through the race season. If I stop I'm sore on Sunday. So I gym Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday then take Thursday and Friday off.

I smoke so all the cycling really helps with my cardio and endurance (oxygen delivery).

Edited by D4N63R

Where's Tye?

He's probably headed to the Ponca City Championship.

For you guys that are seriously racing how often are you working out at the gym and cross training vs actually practicing at the track?  Right now I'm working out twice a week, (insanity class and running/rowing) and practicing at the track at least once sometimes twice a week for about 1.5 hours.

Sounds like a pretty good program considering the time that you're working with. Just a suggestion, might want to use a jump rope sometime too. Try to work up to 10-15 minutes straight with no rest time. Also, might want to try doing some kettlebell swings at the gym too. That will get your heart rate up fast, good for stamina and your core.

I've been trying to stick with working out 2 times a week. Then riding 1 time during the week, practice again Saturday, and race Sunday.

Generally, nothing beats consistent seat time...until you get in the more competitive classes where guys are putting in the seat time and the gym time.  How you train is entirely up to you and your racing discipline.  Strength training helps, but in motorcycle racing is secondary to cardio.  If I was more of an MX guy I'd focus more on sprint intensity cardio for 30 minutes.  As a primary offroad guy, I average about an hour of moderate-high intensity cardio 4-5 days a week, lift 4 times a week and try to ride twice a week.  I'm not worried if I double up on cardio/moto days.  I don't race every weekend, so on weekends I do race, I cut off doing any high intensity cardio or heavy lifting by Wednesday and completely stop working out by Thursday to let my body recover.  When you're at the track you should be doing "cardio' training too.  By that I mean doing solid 20 minute motos as opposed to spinning 5-6 laps then taking a break.  IMHO, motorcycle riding is high impact enough so I keep all my cardio training low impact.  For example this evening I did 20 miutes on the stair stepper at a fast pace, 20 minutes walking on the treadmill at a 6% incline at 4.7mph, and 20 minutes straight laps in the pool.  This was in addition to 4 20 minute motos I did at the track today.  I'll surf tomorrow morning, lift weights and do probably 40 minutes worth of cardio in the afternoon, then ride and do some light cardio Thursday.  If it was a race week I'd most likely skip riding Thursday unless I needed to test something or the conditions were really good.  Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate and you are what you eat.

Having said all of this.......in the amateur ranks, a truly talented rider will fair very well against less talented but very fit riders.  I've found this true be it enduros, desert racing, MX....whatever.  Its just the way it is.  Fortunately there really aren't that many "very talented" amateur riders out there that can kick as on skill alone, so it would be-hoove yourself to put in as much gym time as you can

Edited by Dumb_Fee
  • Like 1

I would ride way more if it was possible. But because of time constraints I go to the gym instead. I only get 4-5 months of riding weather.

All the gym time in the winter keeps me from getting all lethargic and useless haha

Two month old topic, but I'm still gonna add my two cents.

I work for a tent company; I put up/take down tents/chairs/tables 8-15 hours a day. Keep in mind, I'm running the entire time, while carrying fairly heavy things. The tent tops (5-12 per day) weigh as much as I do (~130lbs), 10 chairs (I do about 300 per workday) weighs 75lbs, and 8 foot tables weigh ~80lbs (about 30 of those +/-). Going to the gym would be redundant for me, as would cardio exercises. I don't get tired in races anymore, I just get stoopid armpump.

Start with cardio and go from there. Also, SEAT TIME!!!!!

Two month old topic, but I'm still gonna add my two cents.

I work for a tent company; I put up/take down tents/chairs/tables 8-15 hours a day. Keep in mind, I'm running the entire time, while carrying fairly heavy things. The tent tops (5-12 per day) weigh as much as I do (~130lbs), 10 chairs (I do about 300 per workday) weighs 75lbs, and 8 foot tables weigh ~80lbs (about 30 of those +/-). Going to the gym would be redundant for me, as would cardio exercises. I don't get tired in races anymore, I just get stoopid armpump.

Start with cardio and go from there. Also, SEAT TIME!!!!!

seat time isnt worth so much if you got the fundamentals wrong. also riding in a economic sense can make you last longer in a moto. for example braking bumps, the inside line can have a set of bumps that you can go by just by riding 40 cm on the inside or outside.