Sign in to follow this  

Kdx200 oil question.

I have a 2001 KDX200 and was wondering if 10w-30 or 40 runs good in my machine. If yes which one is better and how much do I pour in

Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 is good. Some use Type-F ATF.  Using a whole quart will quieten down the "Kips Rattle". Do Not use regular motor oil.

Shell Rotella-T 15w-40 is good. Some use Type-F ATF. Using a whole quart will quieten down the "Kips Rattle". Do Not use regular motor oil.

So 10w -30 won't work?

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

You don't want to use regular engine (car) oil as it has friction reducers in it and it could make your clutch slip.

So, NO. Don't use 10w-30 or 10w040. Shell Rotella 15w-40 is ok because it doesn't have the friction reducers in it.

I hope that helps.

10w-40

You can use car oil, just be sure to look out for energy saving or other keywords that will cause it to affect the clutch.  There are a TON of posts on here about it.

10w-40

You can use car oil, just be sure to look out for energy saving or other keywords that will cause it to affect the clutch. There are a TON of posts on here about it.

Would these work?

Yamalube 10w-40

Maxima 85wt

Napa motorcycle 10w-40

Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

You don't want to use regular engine (car) oil as it has friction reducers in it and it could make your clutch slip.

So, NO. Don't use 10w-30 or 10w040. Shell Rotella 15w-40 is ok because it doesn't have the friction reducers in it.

I hope that helps.

That's complete nonsense. Unless your clutch is already worn to the point that it's on the verge of slipping there isn't an oil on the shelf that will make it slip.

Any 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil, 80/85W gear oil, or Type F ATF will be fine. How often you change it is more important than what you put in it.

Rottella is an excellent choice. I prefer ATF.

Use the whole quart.

Edited by Chokey

That's complete nonsense. Unless your clutch is already worn to the point that it's on the verge of slipping there isn't an oil on the shelf that will make it slip.

Any 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil, 80/85W gear oil, or Type F ATF will be fine. How often you change it is more important than what you put in it.

Use the whole quart.

So what kind of rottella do you use? Could you include a link to motosport for me so I know which one please? Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

Use the whole quart.

I stand corrected.

I use Rotella in my bikes.

• Like 1

So what kind of rottella do you use? Could you include a link to motosport for me so I know which one please? Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

I use ATF Type F, and have for over 20 years, including in the KDX I had for 14 years.

When I've used Rotella, it was Rotella T. But many people use both the T5 and the T6, any of them are fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T-15W40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958327

Edited by Chokey

I stand corrected.

I use Rotella in my bikes.

The "Energy Conserving oil will make your clutch slip" topic has been debated ad nauseum, and what it comes down to is that, the people that say that have never actually had an oil make their clutch slip, they're just parroting something they read on the internet or heard from someone that knows someone that has a friend that...well, you get the picture.

It simply isn't true. If a change in oils makes your clutch slip, then your clutch was already on the verge of slipping any way and it's time to replace it.