Kdx200 oil question.

You don't want to use regular engine (car) oil as it has friction reducers in it and it could make your clutch slip.

So, NO. Don't use 10w-30 or 10w040. Shell Rotella 15w-40 is ok because it doesn't have the friction reducers in it.

I hope that helps.

You don't want to use regular engine (car) oil as it has friction reducers in it and it could make your clutch slip.

So, NO. Don't use 10w-30 or 10w040. Shell Rotella 15w-40 is ok because it doesn't have the friction reducers in it.

I hope that helps.

That's complete nonsense. Unless your clutch is already worn to the point that it's on the verge of slipping there isn't an oil on the shelf that will make it slip.

Any 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil, 80/85W gear oil, or Type F ATF will be fine. How often you change it is more important than what you put in it.

Rottella is an excellent choice. I prefer ATF.

Use the whole quart.

Edited by Chokey

That's complete nonsense. Unless your clutch is already worn to the point that it's on the verge of slipping there isn't an oil on the shelf that will make it slip.

Any 10W-30 or 10W-40 engine oil, 80/85W gear oil, or Type F ATF will be fine. How often you change it is more important than what you put in it.

Use the whole quart.

So what kind of rottella do you use? Could you include a link to motosport for me so I know which one please? Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

Use the whole quart.

I stand corrected.

I use Rotella in my bikes.

• Like 1

So what kind of rottella do you use? Could you include a link to motosport for me so I know which one please? Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

I use ATF Type F, and have for over 20 years, including in the KDX I had for 14 years.

When I've used Rotella, it was Rotella T. But many people use both the T5 and the T6, any of them are fine.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T-15W40-Motor-Oil-1-Gal/14958327

Edited by Chokey

I stand corrected.

I use Rotella in my bikes.

The "Energy Conserving oil will make your clutch slip" topic has been debated ad nauseum, and what it comes down to is that, the people that say that have never actually had an oil make their clutch slip, they're just parroting something they read on the internet or heard from someone that knows someone that has a friend that...well, you get the picture.

It simply isn't true. If a change in oils makes your clutch slip, then your clutch was already on the verge of slipping any way and it's time to replace it.

• 6 years later...

Welcome to the forums Tim, I see it's your very 1st post!

Just an observation but you've replied to a 6 year old inactive topic, check the dates as you search!

Despite not all having the JASO-MA certification, most if not all diesel rated engine oils are fine to use in wet clutch applications

not being of the 'Energy Conserving' type with possible friction modifiers that can allow slippage.

Myself for the past 5 years have been using  a plain 'store brand' Canadian Tire 10W-30 synthetic blend diesel oil

in my bikes (pretty sure it's a re-packaged Citgo product)

I can attest it has worked equal or better than 'fancy' motorcycle specific Motul gearbox sold at 4x the price.

Edited by mlatour

1 hour ago, Tim Graff said:

What about Mobil Delvac 1300 super 15W-40

That’s what I use. I change every 10ish hours. Shifting and clutch action / feel are great. Visually it could go longer as most of the time it still looks really good. After the Sandlapper Enduro I could tell a difference in appearance but still not bad at all. Clay

Thanks, I'm back to riding after 42 years.  Don't be fooled.  I'm old but just as fearless and stupid.  I once jumped a Kmart ten speed over a 15 foot drainage ditch in the Evel Knievel years.  Had a few bike growing up in the 70's. I found a mint condition 2000 KDX 200.  Been Fredetted by previous owner.  Shifts like a dream and has a new clutch,  just want the best for it.  Got sold on the KDX from watching Torture Test Magazine Review of the KDX on You tube. TT Dude also has a written article about beating the snot out of the same mint condition 2003 KDX 200 in the desert that goes along with the vid.  Bike failed after (I think) 154 hours of beating, but not the tranny,  He used Mobile Delvac 1300 super.  Lots of interesting stuff about the oil in the written article.  Could be BS, figured I'd ask around.  Sorry to pester you folks at such a late hour.  I am totally unworthy.  Never been part of any forum either.  I got a million questions.