Sign in to follow this  

WP Forks (2014 KTM XC-W) any easy solutions to increase compression on forks

I own a 2014 KTM 500XC-W and I just spent $1000 to trick out the suspension.  It is still much softer than I want and I was hoping for an inexpensive solution such as adding thicker oil than 5wt and adding more oil.  Bad idea?

I own a 2014 KTM 500XC-W and I just spent $1000 to trick out the suspension.  It is still much softer than I want and I was hoping for an inexpensive solution such as adding thicker oil than 5wt and adding more oil.  Bad idea?

So you spent $1k on your suspension and its not right  - do you think $40 worth of oil is going to fix the problem?

Why don't you list the things that have been done and why you think it's too soft - your weight, height and type of riding also.

• Like 1

Why not take it back to the tuner rather than typing on the internet...

• Like 1

The tuner said he would put really stiff springs in the forks.  He and I went over and over that I wanted to error on the side of too stiff.  However, what I need is a unique request.  I do a lot of hill climbing.  Not a whole lot of competitions but more for fun.  One of the exciting things about hill climbing is jumping cliffs on the way down.  He attempted to design my suspension so that I could at least jump a 10ft cliff and land on flat ground comfortably.  I recently jumped a cliff that was about 10ft but a steep landing and it bottomed out...no clanking noise metal to metal but I didn't want to do it again.  This same drop I did awhile back on my 1997 KX500 and it went metal to metal but felt about the same.  The tuner got me excited because he thought I might be able to jump 30ft.  My concern now is what to expect after he takes it back in.  If he only puts a new spring in will the current revalve not work/match up with the springs?  Will my rebound damping not be strong enough to keep the front wheel planted on the ground?  Will the rear suspension not match the front anymore and need redone too?  The rear feels fantastic right now...amazing difference from stock, but my brother's stock 2013 KX450 forks at the highest air pressure allowed by the manual is still stiffer than mine.  Obviously stock bikes aren't set up for big drops and for $1000 what should I expect?  The rear shock reflects the cost for sure because it is awesome, but should I expect to be this satisfied with the forks?  Basically...no bouncing around, but stiff enough that if I overshoot a double that I still land comfortably?

I hear the psf forks have very good bottoming resistance , oil level in your fork also plays a huge role in the bottoming

• Like 1

Putting stiffer springs is likely not the right solution.  Although spring rate certainly plays a part in how the suspension compresses (and rebounds), the vast majority of work is done by the valving.

Try this- turn the compression adjustor all the way in and then back it off one click (might be wise to count the number of clicks in case you want to return them to the way they are right now).  Compare how that feels to their current setting.  This is something that you can do while out in the field.  A great part about the clickers is you can always go back to the way it was.

If the forks feel better at full stiff, then it's time to go see the suspension tuner about valving them stiffer.

You can also play with oil levels, but start with something simple and go from there.  Additionally, if you just shelled out a grand to have the suspension done, it needs to be done to your satisfaction.

• Like 1