Sign in to follow this  

97 KX80 motor is seized can buy it for $50...should I?

So I found a 97 KX80 for $50. Motor is seized and needs exhaust. Thinking about getting it and rebuilding it for my wife. She's 5' 120lbs. Was thinking add a flywheel weight.

But my though is I'll have $500-600 into it...am I better off to just wait for a good deal on an already running bike for $600...

Sometimes those $500-600 deals aren't so good of a deal either and may end up needing a total rebuild anyways, then your into it for another $500.  heck for $50 if you bought the bike and got it torn down and seen why it seized and then make your determination from that.  May just need a new top end w/ jug or a complete rebuild.  Look at it this way, you tear into the bike, get the motor torn down and bike rebuilt for another $550.  You then know what is right and what is wrong mechanically and then your at your  $600 running bike you were waiting for.

• Like 1

That was kind of my lines of thinking. What are the differences for years on the KX80? I tried finding it but couldn't find much

Well I ended up picking it up to $20!!! We'll tear into the motor and see what it needs. Its in pretty rough shape. May end up just parting it out

Well I ended up picking it up to $20!!! We'll tear into the motor and see what it needs. Its in pretty rough shape. May end up just parting it out

Oh man, $20? You just cant go wrong there. Absolutely worth $20. If its shot, just part it out.

Oh man, $20? You just cant go wrong there. Absolutely worth $20. If its shot, just part it out.

Yeah that is my thoughts. 

But how different is a 97 KX80 from say a newer 2000+ YZ/CR/KX? I am thinking of rebuilding it for my wife as a woods/trail bike. I already looked and know I can get a flywheel weight for it. But is suspension and everything else going to be outdated and hard to get parts for.