Sign in to follow this  

Fork Springs

Total newbie here...

I bought an 05 CRF450R and the suspension has been done by RMR. The rear is way over sprung for me; its a 6.0kg/mm and I'm only 160lbs w/out gear. I'm trying to figure out the front now.

Is there a spring rate on the front springs? Or is there a way to figure out what springs are in my fork if I pull them out?

Thanks.

Racetech.com has a spring conversion chart and will tell you what you bike came with stock and what you need for your weight. 160 is what MOST of the Hondas came with but even mine came with the heavier springs so it's not uncommon. Look up setting your sag on youtude. Also there's a color dot on your stock rear spring somewhere that indicates what spring you have IF you can't set your sag and need to change it.

A set of the OEM .47 kg/mm is what you want in the fork. The rear, all you need is a 5.5, which is the stock spring. Set the sag at 102mm and you should be good to go. They're every where on ebay but the problem is, how do you know what spring they send you? Factory Connection, Eibach and Racetech all have what you need. By the way, the rear spring is wrong too, if it indeed did have.

A 6.0? The guy must have weighed 280-300 pounds...

A smart phone call would be to RMR. If they did the suspension for the guy, the valving is going to be inline with the springs and if you lighten the springs enough, the valving is going to need attention too.

oem fork springs are marked with I, II, or III .. with II being the stock .47 rate if not mistaken. It shows in the manual. I are .45, and III are .49 .. someone could confirm but i know the oem springs are marked, and indicate rates somewhere in this range.

you can buy individual oem springs, race tech will only sell you pairs. ($120 or so a pair). race tech springs should also be marked with the specific rate.

Edited by MELK-MAN

Also if you want to send your suspension to someone to get revalves, serviced or spring change I highly recommend factory connection. They're the best IMO and if you have any questions just call them and their customer service is fantastic. The techs will chat with you and answer any questions you have.

oem fork springs are marked with I, II, or III .. with II being the stock .47 rate if not mistaken. It shows in the manual. I are .45, and III are .49 .. someone could confirm but i know the oem springs are marked, and indicate rates somewhere in this range.

you can buy individual oem springs, race tech will only sell you pairs. ($120 or so a pair). race tech springs should also be marked with the specific rate.

They're supposed to be marked like that, but I just installed a set of .49's right out of the Honda Factory wrappers, no marks.

They're supposed to be marked like that, but I just installed a set of .49's right out of the Honda Factory wrappers, no marks.

I can have a look at the springs you replaced with those factory springs when I get home, but I have a feeling those springs you removed are not factory :smirk:

I can have a look at the springs you replaced with those factory springs when I get home, but I have a feeling those springs you removed are not factory :smirk:

The ones in put in didnt have any marks either.

A set of the OEM .47 kg/mm is what you want in the fork. The rear, all you need is a 5.5, which is the stock spring. Set the sag at 102mm and you should be good to go. They're every where on ebay but the problem is, how do you know what spring they send you? Factory Connection, Eibach and Racetech all have what you need. By the way, the rear spring is wrong too, if it indeed did have.

A 6.0? The guy must have weighed 280-300 pounds...

A smart phone call would be to RMR. If they did the suspension for the guy, the valving is going to be inline with the springs and if you lighten the springs enough, the valving is going to need attention too.

That was my first call. They can't tell me what was done to it unless I send it in.

The rear is a Race Tech spring with the part number clearly on it so I know it's a 6.0. I'll pull the springs tonight and see if they have any markings on them.

I'm by far an expert but I think stock springs is too much for a 160# rider. My brother is 165# without gear and we are installing .45forks and 5.3(I think) rear spring. Basically stock springs off a crf250r. But if you want some stock 07 450 springs I may have some.

I'm by far an expert but I think stock springs is too much for a 160# rider. My brother is 165# without gear and we are installing .45forks and 5.3(I think) rear spring. Basically stock springs off a crf250r. But if you want some stock 07 450 springs I may have some.

if your on a 9+ you need to leave the stock fork springs.