Sign in to follow this  

2010-2011 ktm 250sxf questions

Hi, I am new to the fourms and I am looking to buy a dirtbike, the bike i'm looking for is a 2010-2011 Ktm 250sxf. I figured before i spend money on it and buy it i should ask some questions about it.

1. Is there anything that is known to go wrong with these bikes that i should know of?

2. Is it an easy bike to ride since i'm just getting into it.

3.And also is the power of the bike controllable because i am just getting into dirtbiking and I know that i definitely won't need all the power of it right from the start but I just want to make sure i won't have to use all the power.

Thanks! Can't wait to ride!

A used 2 stroke would be a better bike for a first timer but I'll answer the question you asked. I'm in my third season of riding my 2011 250f. I really love this bike! The newer models have major improvements but as you said this will be your first bike so I wouldn't be concerned with a new bike. The motors are generally the same from 05-12. But the 2011-12 models have shock linkage like the Japanese brands as well as fuel injection. I don't know how handy you are but I think your abilities to work on the bike might play a bigger role in which year to choose.

The 2010 carbureted bike is definitly simpler to work on with out all the electronics fuel injection has. I can't speak for known issues on the '10 but I will list some things I've gone through with my '11.

Fuel injection is great but it comes with a price. Starting with the in-tank fuel filters you should change at least once a year. It goes in series with the fuel pump (some people have had pump issues, I have not) The OEM filter kit cost $60 haven't been able to find a cheaper replacement. Injectors must be inspected/cleaned throughout the year. There is another tiny filter in the fuel rail going to the injector that should be replace when doing the in-tank fuel pump filter. The O ring from the rail to injector can tear and deteriorate so it's best to keep several of those on hand along with filters. The TPS can sometimes come out of calibration and unless you have the user setting tool the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer to have them set it.

Any issues I've ever had were somewhat minor and basically related to the fuel system. Poor fuel quality will clog up your filters and make the bike bog and be an all around pain in the ass. I use 50/50 mix of race fuel and pump gas. I have had no more issues since making that switch. The motor is very reliable. I have adjusted the valves twice and replaced the piston and rings this past winter although the stock parts looked pretty good and were still within tolerance.

No matter what brand bike you buy, getting the right suspension springs is important for setting it up to suit you. I don't know what else to say but good luck!

A used 2 stroke would be a better bike for a first timer but I'll answer the question you asked. I'm in my third season of riding my 2011 250f. I really love this bike! The newer models have major improvements but as you said this will be your first bike so I wouldn't be concerned with a new bike. The motors are generally the same from 05-12. But the 2011-12 models have shock linkage like the Japanese brands as well as fuel injection. I don't know how handy you are but I think your abilities to work on the bike might play a bigger role in which year to choose.

The 2010 carbureted bike is definitly simpler to work on with out all the electronics fuel injection has. I can't speak for known issues on the '10 but I will list some things I've gone through with my '11.

Fuel injection is great but it comes with a price. Starting with the in-tank fuel filters you should change at least once a year. It goes in series with the fuel pump (some people have had pump issues, I have not) The OEM filter kit cost $60 haven't been able to find a cheaper replacement. Injectors must be inspected/cleaned throughout the year. There is another tiny filter in the fuel rail going to the injector that should be replace when doing the in-tank fuel pump filter. The O ring from the rail to injector can tear and deteriorate so it's best to keep several of those on hand along with filters. The TPS can sometimes come out of calibration and unless you have the user setting tool the best thing to do is bring it to a dealer to have them set it.

Any issues I've ever had were somewhat minor and basically related to the fuel system. Poor fuel quality will clog up your filters and make the bike bog and be an all around pain in the ass. I use 50/50 mix of race fuel and pump gas. I have had no more issues since making that switch. The motor is very reliable. I have adjusted the valves twice and replaced the piston and rings this past winter although the stock parts looked pretty good and were still within tolerance.

No matter what brand bike you buy, getting the right suspension springs is important for setting it up to suit you. I don't know what else to say but good luck!

Ok thank you for the feedback and why do you say a 2-stroke would be better to start off with? do you mean a 125 2-stroke because i always thought a 250 4 stroke would be better because you can control the power better because it has a smoother "power band" and on the 2 stroke you don't hit the power band until a certain engine rev. I'm just wondering why you think a 125 2 stroke would be easier to handle for a starter than a 4stroke? And i guess in a way i'm not coming from nothing i have a little 125 4-stroke pit bike if that helps any with experience.

where do you want to end , as a semi prof rider or just a gay who want to ride for fun and dond,t mather he is nearly last in a compitition . i see you ar 16 years , and if you want to go fast in the futior begin with a 125 cc 2 stroke and learn to burn that thing down . so w.o.t. and go for it . than you can go for a 250 4 stroke. buth if it is for fun do yourself a plesure and bay a 250 2 stroke . 4 stroke,s a fine but cost a lot of money to maintenange .

I didn't look at your profile. I didn't say what size 2 stroke but if speedboot I right and you are 16, and under 170lbs, then I'd say forget the 250f and get a 125. What type of riding would you like to do how much do you weigh and how tall are you? How much experience do you have working on bikes at all?

I just went through this with my friend's 16 year old son. Rode a 125 4 stroke pit bike, wanted something bigger didn't understand the different characteristics of bikes. Wants to trail ride and ride the tracks a little bit. We picked him up a cr 125 and he's loving it. It's a totally different animal from the pit bike but it's very easy and cheap to work on and in the long run it will teach you to be a better rider.

Thank you both for the replies and after what you told me I think the 125 2-stroke would be better.