Sign in to follow this  

trail gearing?

i have stock gearing on my 2013 drz400s, wanted to gear it for trails, anyone know of replacement front and rear sprockets for a slower first gear?

i have stock gearing on my 2013 drz400s, wanted to gear it for trails, anyone know of replacement front and rear sprockets for a slower first gear?

(209)? Where at? Assuming that's your area code.

Just curious. Manteca here.

I run 15 (stock)/47 and it works good for me.  If riding all off road, I have run 14/47.

(209)? Where at? Assuming that's your area code.

Just curious. Manteca here.

Salida here.

To the OP, my opinion on drz gearing:

14/47: (what im currently running) nice low first gear good for dirt, around 55-60mph feels comfortable on road, yes it can go in the 80mph range but engine is really screaming.

15/44: (stock gearing, tried it) nice for freeway speeds, first gear to tall for slow single track business

14/44 or 15/47: (tried it and gonna go back) compromise between the previous 2. Gain a little bit off road and lose a lil bit on highway.

14/50: (would like to try) for off-roading, should give you a really nice low first gear like walking pace, I imagine would only be good around town with no freeway.

-No one combo is gonna give you everything, gotta pick what suits your needs the closet.

• Like 1

I found 15/47 to be the best for me.  It gives a nice first and good road 50-55 mph.  If I wasn't going to be on the road much, I would go with 14/47 which gives a little better first gear.  I am heading for the TAT next week and going with the 15/47.  Best of luck.  You almost just have to try it to see what fits your riding style and terrain.

huh, 14/47 seems like it might be a good compromise, i like going fast on freeways, but i hate not being able to tippy toe through trails, 14/50 sounds awesome but im sure i would hate the street then, decisions, decisions wish i could have it all lol

I'm not riding a DRZ, but my gearing right now is 13/42, which is roughly equal to a 14/45. Took it trail riding yesterday and 13/42 was good, but a little more down low would be good. In the end I'll probably end up with 14/47 or 14/48. My bike is a 6 speed though and I can still get into the low 80's with 13/42, which is faster than I need it. I don't need or want freeway speeds, I bought a dual sport for being a hooligan around town and trail riding.