Being offered a 2005 ktm 450 exc for my 2002 honda cr 250

What's the verdict and reviews of the 450 exc??

I have always owned big thumpers and took the plung into the world of smokers and can't get used to the explosive power of the honda , am used to a more controlled power and acceleration .

Is the 450 exc a good all rounder for trails , track and wooded areas???

Thanks in advance .

What's the verdict and reviews of the 450 exc??

I have always owned big thumpers and took the plung into the world of smokers and can't get used to the explosive power of the honda , am used to a more controlled power and acceleration .

Is the 450 exc a good all rounder for trails , track and wooded areas???

Thanks in advance .

What are the bikes condition? You left that out.

In perfect condition the KTM is worth more than the Honda, but more expensive to maintain and harder to find parts.

I would take the Honda out of the two

I own a 2005 ktm 450 exc. It is the best bike i have had. The 6 speed and electric start is amazing. Also the cockpit feels great. It feels narrow and does not feel top heavy. This bike is perfect for what you would want to do.

You would be insane to not take that offer, assuming the KTM is in decent shape. The RFS motor that the 05 EXC had was probably the toughest, most reliable motor KTM has built to date. Maintenence is nothing, change oil and air filter and check the valves every other year or so. The RFS rarely has any problems at all... It is not high maintenance like other four strokes. I don't know where UncleLuke got the idea that parts are hard to find for it. They are just as common as any jap bike parts.  a 2005 450 EXC in great shape around here will sell for $3000 easy, and they dont stay on the market long. Your CR would sell for $2000 on a good day.

Edit: To answer you question, the 450 exc is excellent on the trails. It would take a lot of suspension work before it would be ready for a track. It is a tad on the heavy side, but the power is very smooth and plush feeling. I am currently looking to buy one and convert it to a dual sport.

Edited by KTMforlife
  • Like 1

ktm 450 exc.jpgHonda cr 250 monster.jpg

You would be insane to not take that offer, assuming the KTM is in decent shape. The RFS motor that the 05 EXC had was probably the toughest, most reliable motor KTM has built to date. Maintenence is nothing, change oil and air filter and check the valves every other year or so. The RFS rarely has any problems at all... It is not high maintenance like other four strokes. I don't know where UncleLuke got the idea that parts are hard to find for it. They are just as common as any jap bike parts.  a 2005 450 EXC in great shape around here will sell for $3000 easy, and they dont stay on the market long. Your CR would sell for $2000 on a good day.

Edit: To answer you question, the 450 exc is excellent on the trails. It would take a lot of suspension work before it would be ready for a track. It is a tad on the heavy side, but the power is very smooth and plush feeling. I am currently looking to buy one and convert it to a dual sport.

thats the 2 bikes in question.

ktm 450 exc.jpg Honda cr 250 monster.jpg

The ktm looks like it could use a little cosmetic work. If it was me buying it I would get new plastic, give it a thorough cleaing, new tires, and I can't tell from the picture but it looks like the rear spokes are a little rusty. Your bike looks like it's in really good shape for a 12 year old bike. I would say it's about an even trade. Ride the 450 and see if you like it. Also make sure the 450 doesn't have a ton of hours on it.
  • Like 1

I have not viewed the bike yet but am ment to be going to see it this sunday .

The seller says He took the bike in a P/X for something and has not done anything to the bike and only been out on it once.

He is unsure of the maintenance  schedule or if any major work has been carried out .

I did question him about the back wheel and he says its dirt not rust , But Am guessing its a bit of both dirt and rust gauging the foot pegs.

I was planning changing the plastics and Graphics and Giving the bike a complete service like I always do when I buy a used bike .

• Like 1

I don't know where UncleLuke got the idea that parts are hard to find for it. They are just as common as any jap bike parts.

That part made me laugh, thanks for that.

I said "Harder to find".

I have 10 Honda dealers in a 30 mile radius from where I live and 2 KTM dealers

Honda parts are always in stock because of the model contingency over the years. KTM always has to order, and cost twice as much

I said "Harder to find".

Honda parts are always in stock because of the model contingency over the years. KTM always has to order, and cost twice as much

I said "Harder to find".

I was thinking online for some reason. But yeah there aren't near as many KTM dealers as there for jap brands

I have a 04 450exc.

I like it, the one you are looking at isn't bad for 05.

They will haulass, but its no overpowered monster. Its mellow. But gets the job done well.

I've owned 5 ktms & don't see anymore cost in parts as any other brand.

Actually less than some.

Just my experience.

Most neh sayers haven't owned a KTM. Demand account of receipts for any work claimed to be done.

All parts can be bought online at rmatv, KTM world,KTM parts,ktmusa.or local dealers.

Given I own cr250 and ktm I probably can tell you it good trade..... if your good bike mechanic.

The cr has better suspension then the ktm when comes to track. Unless its been setup and valved for track you'll be spending $800 on suspenion to get track worthy or some where in the wrelm of ur cr.

Also ur cr doesn't look bad because it s nothing to service. I'd bring extra rings to our beach races and replace the rings after a day of abuse while drinking some beers. Literally hour job just taking my time and then ur all refreshed and ready to go. Nothing like a oversized chainsaw.

The ktm is a rock and a great bike in my oppinion but more for non supercross style riding. Not saying you can't ride it that way you just working harder at it.

You have to assume the bike is going to need some engine work given its age. Qeustion is? When it breaks down, will you know how to fix it? If not will you pay over $1000 (being cheap) for engine work.