Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 13 oil tranfer

hi guys, a friend has the issue of oil tranfering from engine to tranny....

is this the same issue from early model bikes with the right crank seal?

on this bike the vent is sealed and you have to press the vent to get excess pressure oil out

is there any other reason/seals that need to be changed to stop this?

cheers

Whys the vent sealed? Oil going from engine to tranny is the counter balancer seal. Most likely the bearing are shot for the cb causing that. Does it idle kinda loud.

Whys the vent sealed? Oil going from engine to tranny is the counter balancer seal. Most likely the bearing are shot for the cb causing that. Does it idle kinda loud.

i dont know why the vent has that fitting,

could be because is a Euro version?!!....now i recall after we talked about it to raise this post is that it directs oin in the filter box!

making the engine loosing power as well from heavy contaminated/oiled airfilter!

idle doesnt sound loud, i believe the bearing are ok....i will talk to him again to get more info!

i dont know why the vent has that fitting,

could be because is a Euro version?!!....now i recall after we talked about it to raise this post is that it directs oin in the filter box!

making the engine loosing power as well from heavy contaminated/oiled airfilter!

idle doesnt sound loud, i believe the bearing are ok....i will talk to him again to get more info!

Wait are you talking about the valve cover hose is blocked off? Because that's what releases the blow by from your piston and if that can't let air out then it's going to build up pressure and blow out seals. They make kits to redirect the out going air. You have to have a way for that air to escape or there will be issues

Yes, the seal on the right side of the engine is bad. It needs to be replaced. The vent tube has a plug at the bottom that collects oils smoke and condensation. The vent tube also has a T fitting that allows the blow by air to be taken into the engine. The line isnt plugged or sealed from the factory unless you did something to it, which in turn could have blown the seal with relative ease.

Wait are you talking about the valve cover hose is blocked off? Because that's what releases the blow by from your piston and if that can't let air out then it's going to build up pressure and blow out seals. They make kits to redirect the out going air. You have to have a way for that air to escape or there will be issues

Yes, the seal on the right side of the engine is bad. It needs to be replaced. The vent tube has a plug at the bottom that collects oils smoke and condensation. The vent tube also has a T fitting that allows the blow by air to be taken into the engine. The line isnt plugged or sealed from the factory unless you did something to it, which in turn could have blown the seal with relative ease.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies....i talked the problem again with my mate! 

the vent plugged is the one Shawn refers to with the Tee-fitting going in the Airbox! that one get oil in the box!

What i got backwards is the Gearbox oil been transferred in the engine not the other way round! Could that be caused by a Right crank Oil seal?

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies....i talked the problem again with my mate!

the vent plugged is the one Shawn refers to with the Tee-fitting going in the Airbox! that one get oil in the box!

What i got backwards is the Gearbox oil been transferred in the engine not the other way round! Could that be caused by a Right crank Oil seal?

That's the same one I was talking about. So it's not blocked off and still hooked to the airbox?

Yes if the oil is moving from the trans side to the engine then it's definitely your right side crank seal. Also when the motor has too much oil like it would in this situation then it pukes the extra oil out of your valve cover into your gathering tube and a lot of times it does like it doing your friend and collects in your airbox.. SO a new right side crank seal and he should be good to go! I use some seal sealant and heat up around where that seal goes with a hand held propane torch before installing that seal to guarantee it won't move once it's in and all dried up. I also heat it up so when I'm pushing that seal in I have a slightly smaller socket to push it in really easy and carefully with just my hands. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 1

That's the same one I was talking about. So it's not blocked off and still hooked to the airbox?

Yes if the oil is moving from the trans side to the engine then it's definitely your right side crank seal. Also when the motor has too much oil like it would in this situation then it pukes the extra oil out of your valve cover into your gathering tube and a lot of times it does like it doing your friend and collects in your airbox.. SO a new right side crank seal and he should be good to go! I use some seal sealant and heat up around where that seal goes with a hand held propane torch before installing that seal to guarantee it won't move once it's in and all dried up. I also heat it up so when I'm pushing that seal in I have a slightly smaller socket to push it in really easy and carefully with just my hands. Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Many thanks mate! and thanks for the installment tip

• Like 1

Dry the seal seat with brake cleaner or acetone. Then glue that seal into place. Permatex high tack, gasga sinch, or the Locited for setting bearings (what the factory uses). That seal can blow out of place.

• Like 1

Dry the seal seat with brake cleaner or acetone. Then glue that seal into place. Permatex high tack, gasga sinch, or the Locited for setting bearings (what the factory uses). That seal can blow out of place.

cheers Shawn, nice one!