Sign in to follow this  

1993 rm250 is it good to buy

I have found a 1993 rm250 for sale for 700 dollars. The person selling it says it needs a carb rebuild and it has some welded up hole in the exhaust pipe. He said you can get right up on it and go for a ride. Is this a good bike to get as a project at the age it is.

PART_1400535400807.jpg

PART_1400535352095.jpg

Why would you want a bike that doesn't run and is almost 25 years old?  Not to be a jerk.. just asking.

My experience has taught me never touch a bike unless it's exactly what you want, in its current state.  A bike in this condition, you can guarantee that cleaning the carb and welding the exhaust is not the end of the repairs or money it needs.

I would offer the guy maybe $300, and say that the other $400 will be for repairing it.  Or tell him to make the bike run, and you'll give him $600 max.  That's how I would approach it.

But I'll say this--if I had a bike like this that actually ran, I would keep it as a collector's item.  You'll probably have to replace nearly all the engine seals, check out all bearings, etc.  It can get costly but it can be fun to have and ride.

My buddy for example bought a '92 YZ 250, put hours and hours of work into that bike.  Haha, this bike's swingarm axle was seized in place.  Took an hour with a heat torch and a sledge hammer to finally knock it out.. it had never been greased in 18 years!!  To make the bike handle racing in the woods, he got with our dealer who does a lotta suspension work.  He called his go-to guy at Race Tech, and had them specially manufacture springs that would fit this older bike.  Those are just a few hassles you can expect from buying that RM 250.

But if you buy it, enjoy it!  Keep it forever, that's what I would do.

He said it did run and all I had to do was clean out the carb. So does that mean it will still be expensive to fix.

Cleaning the carb won't be very expensive just a few bucks for some carb cleaner and a few hours of your time if you really want the bike tell the guy to start it before you buy it

I have a 93 and a 95. I ride them almost every day and love the dang things. If it runs I don't think you can go wrong for that price range. I haven't had any problem finding parts for them. I put a new PWK carb on one of them that made a world of difference. Cost $200.

If you don't mind wrenching some, which you'll have to do on any bike, go ahead and buy it

Thanks for all the great responses you guy have been giving me. This is really helping me on deciding whether to get it, thanks.