Where to start with my 2002 "E"...

First an intro...

Hi my name is Sven, I've been riding street bikes for about 14 years now, 82 Honda V45 Sabre, 2000 V-Star 650, 1999 Roadstar 1600, 1997 TL1000S, 1982 XS650 Chopper, and a bunch of others that I've rotated through over the years... I've wanted a motard for a while and found a street legal "E" for a good price and bit the bullet, without completely knowing what I was getting myself into :D

I've been lurking a looking around here for a while now trying to figure out the best way to beef up the bike a little, 99% of my riding will be on paved roads so I will be buying some straight-up road wheels/tires at some point and changing the rear sprocket out but in the meantime..

Most of the lists I've seen here for "The first mods you should do are..." say something like "Get the header, carb, etc from an older 'E' Model." So what's my first step if I HAVE an older "E" model? (Other than sell you all my parts)

Thanks for the info in advance! Please feel free to point me to another conversation if there is one, I just didn't find it.

Ok, good to know.

What is Z-Pro? 

Is there a reasonably priced set of wheels out there? I would rather not pay $2000 if I can avoid it..

MRD/Z-Pro is on the bottom of the page http://www.mrd-racing.com/page05.html

For reasonably priced new wheels check out Warp 9 http://www.warp9racing.com/sm_wheels_suzuki.html

Other wise If you want cheaper then you will need to be on the look out for a decent used set. Search through Ebay, Craigslist, and all the forum classifieds (like the one here on ThumperTalk and the one on SuperMotoJunkie, and any other ones you come across)

I was able to find a set with less than 800 miles on them for $800. It included the wheels, brake rotors, relocation bracket (for the 320mm front rotor), rear sprocket, tubes and tires. Everything was mounted up, but I wanted different gearing so I got a smaller rear sprocket and a shorter chain. So for everything it came to less than $900, which is a pretty good deal IMO.

It will take some searching though to find a decent set (took me a couple months). Also the good ones tend to go fast so you need to act quickly when you find the right one.