Sign in to follow this  

Engine shuts down after (extremely) bumpy terrain?

Hi guys. I experienced this issue last week. My 2014 stock DRZ400S was dying on a stretch of extremely rough terrain. I was headed down hill, and wasn't lugging the engine, I was on the gas. Happened a few times. I thought maybe the fuel supply to the engine was getting interrupted by the rough bumps?

Side stand bouncing up and down - intermittently activating the side stand safety switch? If so - by pass the switch.

Side stand bouncing up and down - intermittently activating the side stand safety switch? If so - by pass the switch.

+1

Common problem with the DRZ

Disable the switch

• Like 1

Or put a small ziptie on the kick stand to trouble shoot before modifying the system. A member on here bypassed the kickstand switch,all right turns from his house to the street, then ate pavement on his first left because his stand was down.

Edited by alexgauthier
  • Like 1

Was searching around earlier since i knew i needed to do this. My bike kept dying on me in some whoops and i knew it was the kick stand. I found this in another thread. Someone in UK sells a connector that plugs right into the stock harness where the kick stand switch is located and it is essentially a delete for the switch. No wiring/splicing needed, literally plug and play.

I went this route as i just don't feel like cutting up the stock harness if i don't have to. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261058816713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Was searching around earlier since i knew i needed to do this. My bike kept dying on me in some whoops and i knew it was the kick stand. I found this in another thread. Someone in UK sells a connector that plugs right into the stock harness where the kick stand switch is located and it is essentially a delete for the switch. No wiring/splicing needed, literally plug and play.

I went this route as i just don't feel like cutting up the stock harness if i don't have to. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261058816713?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I bought the same thing for the same reason.

• Like 1

flux capacitor shorting to ground. check for exposed wiring in that. it should help that problem  :ride:

Or put a small ziptie on the kick stand to trouble shoot before modifying the system. A member on here bypassed the kickstand switch,all right turns from his house to the street, then ate pavement on his first left because his stand was down.

I bet he will only make that mistake once.  That is just not paying attention. Hope he is alright of course but a great learning lesson non the less. I have removed all safety switches and actually find it easier to start and get going.

thats probably from inexperience. Kicking the stand up before riding should be like muscle memory, in my opinion Edited by fuentes52
  • Like 1

Before the inconvenience of those bastardly switches, kickstands used to have a rubber extension that would put the stand up for you before you 'pogo sticked' it. The sound of the stand slamming up could still prove distracting. ;)