Sign in to follow this  

Siliconed swing arm pivot bolt?

Im trying to remove the swingarm for maintenence and its not budgeing. It looks as though its been siliconed into place.. anyone have any input? I have no idea i dont think anyone has &%$#@!ed with it PO got it from a dealer i got it with 1700 miles its now at almost 7000.

1400618406071.jpg

I use silicone on lots of bolts as a loc-tite. I started doing that long time ago on Harleys as I found it dealt with the heat and vibration much better than loc-tite.

Its more likely its just seized in there. Even at 5500 miles mine was very stubborn to get out. I used an aluminum punch so I couldn't damage the "bolt", and whacked away with a sledge hammer. It eventually broke free. I had to have some hold the bike as I was starting to think I was going to knock it off the stand swing that sledge hammer.

• Like 1

It's most likely just rusted in place... usually where the pivot bolt enters thru the engine case (two steel sleeves).

Some penetrant on the pivot bolt right at the engine case and a lot of pounding. Put the nut back on the pivot bolt and thread it on so its flush with the end of the pivot bolt threads. Now grab a brass or aluminum drift and a sledge and go to town... be careful not to knock the bike over or hit your hand.

Once it starts moving, unthread the nut and carefully knock it out the rest of the way.

• Like 1

Im trying to remove the swingarm for maintenence and its not budgeing. It looks as though its been siliconed into place.. anyone have any input? I have no idea i dont think anyone has &%$#@!ed with it PO got it from a dealer i got it with 1700 miles its now at almost 7000.

check the FAQ, there are great tutorials for things like this. 

MAPP torch is the quickest and easiest way to get that bolt out, but not an option with all that silicone there. If it were me I would get a pick and a heat gun and scrape it all out of there. Then blow the torch right down the center of the bolt. It should knock right out if you get it hot enough. I wouldn't keep the nut on while you're pounding on it though, good way to trash the threads

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I should ask does anyone kniw what size the bold for the front drive sprocket is? Shes a big one mh dads only got american that big closest he had that fit was 1 1/4 if im not mistaken. What size metric would that be? Just for future reference i wanna get that bolt and all other i need to torque everything down and be good to go. All i need is to finish swingarm and linkage and its pretty much torque everything in there good and put it all back together! Cant wait till its back up. Def will have pics im switchin white to black so shes black and blue!

I don't know the exact size but 1.25" = 31.75 mm.  If the 1.25" fit but was sloppy the size is 31mm, if the 1.25" almost fit but not quite the size would be 32mm

Edited by npm
  • Like 1

I always remove/installed the sprocket nut with my 1-1/4" socket( 6point..don't try with a 12point)

OP for your info:  a 3/8 nut and thread rod works great.

Or just us a 3/8 bolt to silde in the threaded side to hammer on it..that way you won't dammage the thread..

I used a zip gun (with the pointed tool on the 3/8 bolt)on mine and it got out pretty quick.

i put the tapered end of a punch in the hole and hammer on that to get it out. make sure the rear brake pedal is removed. the bolt will hit it if it isnt out. dont ask me how i know. haha..

I would be careful doing that (using a tapered punch in the pivot bolt hole)... I did that myself and slightly flared out the threaded-end of the pivot bolt.  I was going to replace it anyway since it was pretty corroded.  However you do need to move the brake lever as you mentioned.

• Like 1

haha. yea. i thought about that but i still do it. i dont really have to hit mine that hard to get it out though. its been out a few times in the last year and greased each time. maybe its not a good suggestion for someone else...

My dad got it out when i wasnt hoke but shes out. Does this bolt look fine still? It seems fine to me. Im looking at the bearing as we speak

My dad got it out when i wasnt hoke but shes out. Does this bolt look fine still? It seems fine to me. Im looking at the bearing as we speak

Forgot pic, it's probably fine though Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

Sorry lol here it is

polish that baby up and lube it lol .. imo one of the first things you should do when you get a drz is lube that bolt .. first time it gets rained on or washed its 'in there' if you dont ..

• Like 2