Sign in to follow this  

2014 XT250 - or lowering a WR250R/CRF250l

I'm 5'9 170lb w/ 31" inseam. I've had many bikes over the years, dirt and street. I'm looking for a new FI dual sport, for about 40% street 60% off road. And that's beaches, trails, mud, scouting hunting/fishing spots in mostly mild weather. 100+ degrees a few months of the year.

I really like the WR250R, but it's seat is a bit tall for what I want it for. Same with the CRF250l, and I think lowering either of these will make the suspension suck. Now the suspension kind of already sucks on the XT, but I like the air cooled light weight low seat height. If I spend the extra money on the WR, I don't want to spend more money on it to make it better for me in a way, but lesser in another ie suspension. Or go with XT/CRFl and mod it to squeeze out as much juice as I can.

I would normally just go used and experiment , but I want this to be a bike I keep for many many years. With as few headaches as possible. Thanks in advance to whoever puts in their 2cent.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but!

The Yamaha WR250R is an excellent bike, I've owned an XT, found it good for a year, then afterwards if riding biskly the suspension is one of the bikes shortcomings. Sold the XT and bought the Yamaha WR250R because of all the 250 DS bikes it is the most durable and upgradable! Which is important to me.

You will need softer springs for the WR, as it's sprung for a 200 lb person. But if you have the springs changed and install a $160.00 Seat Concepts "low" seat you WILL fit perfect! I do on mine!!! With the same or less inseem....(I'm about 30/31 inseem)

And BTW, People buy these bikes all the time and then get buyers remorse, I found a 2008 with 700 miles full of options for $3,500.00

After a seat and spings and afew farkles it's still cheaper than many other bikes, and the thing comes with a bullet proof motor, lots of power, great suspension components, and has the feel of a real bike, my XT was a "campground bike" in comparison

PM me if you need help getting springs for the Yamaha, or info on how I did mine...

• Like 1

Awesome, glad to hear that. Guys at dealer were more dissuasive than anything. I can handle the height fine now, especially on street. I prefer it lower for trails and such. Sold my last bike only because it was an offer I couldn't refuse. I want this one to be a long term bike, and want it set up from the get go. No having to drop it back off later, unless my warranty comes into play. Thanks for chiming in, makes my decision more solid now.

I may take you up on which shocks I need. Tourist season here, bike week on top off that. I won't be doing anything this week for sure. Thanks again!

well if you're looking at the WR, might want to include the DRZ, not fuel injected but has a huge parts bin, both after market and used, so keeping it around for a while is easy. :thumbsup:

I'm tall, but when I bought my CRF250L, it was lowered 2". Bike handled just fine. I raised it back up, but it handled the same at both heights. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I LOVE the little CRF250L. I'm a long time rider, have owned a few 1000cc sport bikes, a. Ducati, and a Harley. This is my favorite bike by far. It's just a fun little bike. Just my .02 cents. I bought my 2014 used with only 71 miles on it for $4,000. I put a full suspension on it by Race Tech built for my weight, and a full Stage 1 performance package, and now have a wicked 250 dual sport for less than 6 grand.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja

Might be a good way to go, with the $1500 saved from getting the WR. I also think I'll enjoy this over all my past bikes. That's why I want to get this right the first go. What mods should wait until after warranty expires?

I'm fine with the stock seat height on my Honda 250L at 5'9"/150 with a 32" inseam.  I'm darn near flat footed sitting on it, I bet it would work for you.  If you haven't already go sit on one, with stock suspension it squashes down a bit.  

Just an observation, If you have a lot of off road experience and are pretty hardcore, you wouldn't even consider the XT250.  Anyone who rides really hard would already know they will blow right through the suspension.  The XT250 is set up for exploring on moderate trails at a moderate pace.  That's the way I rode for many years and never really understood suspension set up.  Then a couple years ago I started riding with people who race and take riding seriously.  I would never go back to riding an xt, but like I said, I rode an XT350 for years and thought it was a great bike.  If you are going to use the bike for hunting an exploring, you will really enjoy the bike.  It's an easy bike to ride.  Many shorter people ride taller bikes, Ricky Carmichael.  It sounds like to me you want a bike as more of a tool then a weapon. 

I pretty much ruled out the xt a day or so after my first post about it. I really don't mind the seat height of the crfl/wrr. It would be nice to have something low enough to teach my better half on. I'm a father now and not as young and limber so I wouldn't consider my riding hardcore anymore...More technical riding I would call it, that is getting safely to/finding point A/B/C while having maximum enjoyment. Even considering some other options. CB500X - G650GS - if the KLR was fuel injection I would consider it. But I will prob go with the CRFL for price and more dirt capable without too many farkles. Still in research mode but I'm learning a lot. I've had dirt bikes and street bikes but never a dual sport. Thanks for input guys.

• Like 1