Sign in to follow this  

Ohio Where is the best single track in The Hatfield McCoy system?

Want to go riding in the Hatfield McCoy this weekend,but where is the best single track down there?

Want to go riding in the Hatfield McCoy this weekend,but where is the best single track down there?

If you look at various reviews, Rockhouse seems to have to most miles of single track.  Can't quantify if all of it is the 'best' or not, although Rockhouse trail 199 (Google that) is pretty renowned as the best single trail in the entire system.  We are going in early June.

Thanks I'll look into that one, When you go do you camp or stay at one of the motels or cabins?

Thanks I'll look into that one, When you go do you camp or stay at one of the motels or cabins?

This is our first time there.  We are staying at one of the cabins.  Browning Fork Trail Lodge, near Gilbert.

Buffalo mountain has the most singletrack . The rockhouse 199 and i think 188 are tough brutal and rocky . There is a place or 2 where a mistake could cost you your bike , or your life. Buffalo has a trail that is worse. If you plan on tackling them , you need to have really good rock riding skills and be able to focus on the trail ahead and not to the sides. I would suggest full wrap hand guards , bash plate , and friends willing to help. Fun ?yes. Easy? No ! Little coal has some fun, non lethal singletrack . Alot of outlaw trail surrounds little coal. If you have a taste for the insane, try ivy branch . The double diamond rock crawler trails and the blacks are a hoot.

Edited by ohiocoalminer

Just got back from riding in the HMT and it was fantastic riding, I hit Rockhouse first and did 81.1 miles the first day.

the last 1.1miles was the toughest,I ran out of gas so I had to push my bike back to the motel.And even at that I feel like 

I only did what looks like a third of rockhouse.The second day I went over to Buffalo MTN,not nearly as rocky but just the same 

some really nice riding and lots of single track.I was shocked that on Memorial day I was quite literally the only person on

the trails at Buffalo MTN. no one else in sight and no cars in the parking lot. Had a blast had to tell a deer to get off of the trail as he did not 

have a sticker on his antlers soooo!! no pay no play.

• Like 1

Oh I ddi also see my first real live rattlesnake (not in a zoo ) on the trail at Rockhouse I figured he probably had his sticker 

on his belly and I didn't bother him. LOL!!!

• Like 1

Oh I ddi also see my first real live rattlesnake (not in a zoo ) on the trail at Rockhouse I figured he probably had his sticker

on his belly and I didn't bother him. LOL!!!

Lol,,,thing you wanna keep in mind,,,those counties are infested with rattlesnakes and copperheads. Keep your eyez open when off your bike. If you solo,,,it could be dirt nap time. There has been years we see more killer snakes than nice ones. Also black bears, bobcats, etc. there is rumored to be a few elk in mingo county,,,ive never seen any though. great places to ride. If you are on rockhouse again, buzz into gilbert and gas up. There is a great mexican restuarant there . Glad you had good time .

Live close ride often. I really like the small loop at waterways, you can knock out 5-10 laps. Great practice for skills and endurance. Ohio coal isn't kidding about those rock crawler trials at ivy. Especially the one that follows the creek bed.

I did stay in Gilbert at the Breeze motel Nice folks there.The owner came by each night and had a fire out front.

He was a hoot and wow did he have some nice cars.The trails were some of  the best that I've been on,and I will

be a frequent rider there.I got some of that Hatfield McCoy Moonshine made right there in Gilbert, I hope that in

the future that I can get someone to come down and ride with me or just hook up with someone there.I was a little

surprised that there weren't more people there over the holiday weekend riding.There were lots of 4-wheelers and side

by sides but not many bikes.And there were lots of Hatfields there they were having a family reunion just down the road. 

After watching mountain monsters on tv,,,between tbe logan devildog and boone countys sheepsquatch , it could be bad , especially for solo riderz. Lol

Anybody going to do any riding over the 4th of july holiday down at the HMT ???