Sign in to follow this  

KLX 300 idler gear changeout

Just changed out my KLX300 idler gear as recommended by folks on this site.  Actually had a Stroker gear installed from the previous owner, was rocking pretty good on the shaft and the gear was noticeably worn on the outside compared to the stock gear I installed.  It was intact though, that's good!  All that went okay, but have it back together and my clutch is not working.  Any quick advice as I pull it back apart to look for my mistake?  Seems to have a lot of play in clutch lever as I put it together.  If its something silly, I will fess up with my mistake to prevent others from repeating my mistake.  Thanks!

I have only changed my idler gear one time and it has been a long time ago. When I did it I kept as many of the assembled parts together to help me with putting it all back together. It would be tough to diagnose your problem (for me anyway) without standing there looking at it.

What you might try is looking at the parts assembly diagram on one of the OEM parts sales houses to see if you can identify what you might have done. Assuming you did not have anything left over it will probably be something simple and easily correctable.   

Thanks for the advice. Found an earlier post on this site where a fellow had a similar problem with his clutch. He said placement of a washer is critical. The OEM diagram shows it like you recommended. I am guessing the washer in front of the clutch basket slipped out when I removed the whole clutch in one piece from the shaft. Need to disassemble this weekend to test my theory. And find the washer! Will post if that fixes it. Thanks again.

Finally getting around to reporting the outcome. Kawboybill pointed me the correct direction. The OEM diagram correctly shows the washer between clutch plates and basket. When I pulled the clutch off to access the idler gear, I had no reason to pull the clutch apart, so didn't notice the washer slipped out of place. When I took it back apart, the washer was loose in the basket. Lucky not loose somewhere else. Anyway, clutch works well now, time for some late summer riding and planning my next project. Thanks again for the help.