Sign in to follow this  

Shorai batteries keep dying?

I replaced my heavy lead/acid battery with one of those Lithium lightweight batteries (Shorai).  This will be my 3rd battery (all replaced under warranty).  They seem to last about 2-3 months and then go bad.  I ride my bike most every weekend and why not always on a charger, I throw it on occasionally.  The manual says it can go for months without charging.  It seems once they go bad, they will no longer accept a charge. 

Anyone else have similar problems with these batteries?  Their whole selling point is a higher starting voltage, longer life and less weight.  So far I have only seen 1 out of 3 (less weight).  I don't mind as much as long as they replace them for free, but not sure how long that will last.

I haven't had this problem that a 2 month span does seem really short, I'm no pro or anything just my 2 cents but even on old fourwheelers we have around the house or track can go many months without such treatment and they are on their last legs. So anything newer shouldn't be running it out so quickly. Have checked your wiring for any strays or miscommunication or has their been any water damage to the area where your battery is?

I had one of those batteries on my CBR1000RR for about 2 years with no problems.  That being said, there is a shorai charger that connects via a special plug that will equalize the cells, etc.  The charging port is between the + and - terminals, covered by a rubber cover (I didn't notice it until after I bought the charger).  What kind of motorcycle do you have it in?  Have you checked the voltage the bike is generating?  As long as there is no parasitic draw (Alarms systems, etc., it should retain a nearly full charge for several months with no use.  Charger is about $75 though.. wish I kept mine when I sold the CBR.

Edited by mch

I switch batteries and bike starts great with acid battery. Bike is an enduro race bike. Husky txc310r. No alarms key ignition or other power draw. It does have aftermarket head and tail light but they only come on when bike is running.

Yeah, something sounds wrong.  My CBR was always slow cranking with the stock acid battery; The Shorai was just the fix.  It was definitiely as advertised (at least in my case) with the cranking power and incredibly light weight.  Here's what I posted about it back in 2011: http://www.1000rr.net/forums/modifications-upgrades-08-11/89137-shorai-lfx14a2-bs12-extreme-rate-lithium-iron-powersports-battery.html

Edited by mch

I switch batteries and bike starts great with acid battery. Bike is an enduro race bike. Husky txc310r. No alarms key ignition or other power draw. It does have aftermarket head and tail light but they only come on when bike is running.

If wired correctly, head and tail lights should come on without starting.

I know this because I have same issue with my bike.

I have to keep recharging battery. Lights only come on when running. Its due to where the wires are tapped in.

No reason to charge if you ride a lot. Putting it on a charger is probrably your issue.

• Like 1

I have a lot of experience with these batteries. If you let them go below 10.4-11 volts (resting voltage) the internal chemical composition changes to where it is no longer a battery. If the bike isn't charging (14.4v) when running then you are just draining the battery over time and it will kill it. 

Also, they say not to use a certain kind of charger because it could damage the battery.  I believe the battery tender was okay

It's supposed to be but I had problems with them.. so I got the shorai charger and of course I think I only used it once and it has worked perfectly. I just went down to check on my bike that I haven't started in 6 months and the shorai started it up perfectly. I was shocked. I was fully ready to take off the seat and have to charge it. It says here that if the battery is charged too high the internal heat reduces the longevity of the battery.. I'd get a shorai charger just to be sure.

http://www.atbatt.com/motorcycle-batteries/how-to-charge-a-lithium-phosphate-motorcycle-battery