Sign in to follow this  

anyone use the fastway adjustable linkage guard?

Been interested if anyone tried the fast way adjustable linkage guard. I love the idea of changing pullrod length with inserts and having the skid plate for the shock. Couple years ago I machined my linkage arm on a Tm and made 1-2mm adjustment inserts. Amazing how that small change effects turning and shock performance.thought beta guys would have really been into this part.

• Like 1

I have had it on my 300RR for awhile now. Nice part. I have not tried other than the stock position. Reason is it lowers the rear and I feel the front is borderline light already. Perhaps the stiffer initial travel offsets this? When I have some time I'll try it.

• Like 1

I raced my first two races on the new scoot this weekend, i am sure the linkage guard aided in my clearing obstacles and assisted my second place for the night hare scramble. 

The link length changes are stock, +.6mm, +1.3mm, +2.0mm using a two pair of inserts that may be mounted in two directions. The +2.0mm length will lower the bike approx 12mm. It just never seemed logical to me to have this option in one direction on the Beta. Seems like a carryover from the KTM version, which apparantly helps keep that bike more stable in certain terrain like whoops and deep chop. I'm not sure the Beta needs that, but I have not tried it yet so I'll hold judgement. I'm curious if the static height change is offset somewhat by stiffer initial travel while riding. Also what does that do to small bump compliance? Interesting, but I did not want to find out it did not work while racing.

Longer pull arms will stiffen initial shock movement slightly. It will lower the rear,but it keeps the rear "up" better on initial 2-3 inches of travel. Its a good tuning aid. Thought you could flip the adjusters and go + or- on arm length? That sucks if you can only add.

Would have bought one by now if it raised the rear. The back end of the 2 stroke definitely does not need to be any lower. IMHO

I raced my first two races on the new scoot this weekend, i am sure the linkage guard aided in my clearing obstacles and assisted my second place for the night hare scramble.

Night Pig in Vernon?

It's easy to make your own dog bones if you have a drill press. Raising the rear will make the front a little more aggressive and slightly less stable. Generally when you lower the rear you slide the forks up also to keep the suspension geometry the same.

I don't think the Beta is a problem as far as being low in the rear/too light up front. It's just the way it is compared to a front bias bike like a GG. I think a KTM XC feels more loose up front for sure. That said I agree with Hammer that it just doesn't need any more lowering. I raised my forks 5mm so I could try the position that lowers the rear closest to the same amount without throwing the bike out of balance. Even of you were able to raise the rear, it would soften the initial stroke and make it ramp up quick to the stiffer part of the curve. That has been my experience with different GG pull rods, but the old linkage geometry was reversed so a longer pull rod = lower height = softer initial travel.

The bias on my 520 is 144.7 rear and front 136.5 for a total of 281.2 lbs wet. It would be nice to see the other manufactures bias for each model if anyone out there has the numbers. 

Night Pig in Vernon?

Yeah, it was a great course this year.  I almost prefer racing at night

here are my thoughts on the fastway linkage guard on the beta RR300 for what they are worth.

tough gear, i reckon i'd wreck my bike before breaking this linkage guard.

if my linkage didn't cop so much abuse i might have opted for the budget obie or slavens options but from what i've read i think i would have bent or destroyed those fairly quickly. 

i'd agree it's a pity they didn't offer the option of jacking the rear end up, the beta is already plenty stable at speed so would have been good to have the default setting in the middle, then be able to lift or lower the rear end. i'm pretty tall and would have enjoyed a bit more ground clearance by lifting both ends of the beta a little. 

a big thumbs up overall, definitely worth the money.

^ ^

Agree one hundred percent with Oz. Well worth the $$, left it in stock position and didn't notice any adverse handling/lower settings.

After coming from KTM's PDS system where one doesn't have to worry about linkage damage, I learned quickly that without protection 

the linkage was going to sustain major damage one of these days. My Fastway has taken some serious hits, nice to know it's there when they occur.

I have and love it! Bombproof! I'm 6'01" so I have it in the stock setting, no need to go lower...The small amount of clearance loss more than makes up for the protection and I have yet to get hung up on the rocks/logs with it :) . I like not even having to worry about my linkage, except to grease it....to each his own, just my two cents...

Rotax-I'll weigh out the bias of my KTM530 for reference when I get a chance

Edited by Whiskeythrottle24