Sign in to follow this  

Stretched out timing chain ?

Ok just git my 04 kx 250f running the other day been sitting the last year or so due to a dropped valve and no money. But anyways got all the stuff fixed but used my old timing chain and cams. I timed it and i timed it ran great but rev limiter wouldnt kick I know from previous times that means intake cam is off one tooth on timing so I moved it one tooth starts ok and rev limiter would kick but still dont sound quite right and will studder when accelerating from lugging. Not supposed to note ive had this bike for a while and never did this before. But when I look at the cams the exhaust cam is clockwise a little too much move it counter clockwise the timing dot goes down too far behind the metal of the head. Right now its set counterclockwise a hair too much. Will a stretched out timing chain do this ? Or should I try running the exhaust cam one tooth counter clockwise ? Shouldn't hurt anything to try it but give me your thoughts. Supposed to take it to my local track Thursday if I get it running properly.

Post a clear picture of the cam timing marks set at TDC. 

Yes you are correct.

A worn timing chain and/or worn crank or cam timing gears can cause incorrect timing symptoms.

Edited by 05CRF250

I know the gears are in good shape. So do you think a new timing chain will definitely fix tge issue ? Or just a possibility and good place to start ?

I know the gears are in good shape. So do you think a new timing chain will definitely fix tge issue ? Or just a possibility and good place to start ?

Replacing the timing chain should solve your problem, if not you have eliminated one possibility. Its good practice to replace you timing chain when rebuilding your bottom end or every second or third top end. Turns out a lot cheaper to replace a $30 chain then let it stretch and jump off timing gears and drop a valve on your piston costing a couple grand $$$. Edited by 05CRF250

I replaced the timing chain. Timing marks were perfect. Rev limiter kicjs again and no stutter at bottom end and srarts better.

• Like 1