Sign in to follow this  

xr200 kick start help!

hi i have a 1997 xr200 and the kick starter will not return. guesing the spring was broken I pulled off the right engine cover and it looks like I will have braek the case open. I was wandering if any body has done it before or any other ideas besides pulling it back up with my hand :rolleyes:
help is gratly apreciated

thanks

Yes, you are looking at a full teardown and splitting the cases.  My son and I are currently doing that on his 82 XR200R.  I see this as being a common problem from what I see in the engineering.  The spring only has a small end that slides into a hole in the kick start shaft.  Our spring didn't break, it just came loose inside.  The little cheesy aluminum collar that holds the spring in place doesn't work very well.  Get a good service manual and set aside a couple of afternoons... not too hard, just time consuming.  Good luck!

Here is a good video to watch to see if you are up to the challenge.

If nothing else, it helps on removing the engine.

Geoff from New Zealand has several youtube postings and I would check Chuck's posts on fine detailed items.

This is a common problem for XR200's that have had their decompression cable removed, or misadjusted.

It puts more load on the kick starter than designed to and ya Honda could have done a better job of designing access to it, instead of having to split the cases.

Michael

thanks for the reples. is there any way to tell it the spring is broken or just sliped out of it's hole?

My decomp is broken do you now how offten this will hapen and is it worth fixing?

I already have the engine off so one of these afternoons I'll braek into it. :mellow:

You have to determine if it is worth fixing to you, or parting out to someone else.

There are many factors on the value to you vs. the value to someone else.

A 1994 with the shorter suspension has very little value to me, but you might find someone who does value your 94 parts locally.

If very little interest locally, you have Ebay as a resource to sell your bits and pieces that are in reasonably good condition.

Michael

hi ktm it's a 87 and Im hoping to split the case this afternoon and see what it needs.

thanks

An 87 has much more value, that is the longer suspension model.

I also have an 87 and love it.

Michael

I split the case found out that the kickstart spring was broken ordered it, a gasket, shifter oil seal. I'll put her back to gether and start riding :ride:  

bbboom is a 82 xr200 duel shoks?

that's a nice looking bike bbboom. ktm my 87 has a front disk brake im guesing this is not stock? it also has a seedo pick up maybe xr250l? also the rear shocks have an oil resivor.