Sign in to follow this  

Need advice, missing small amount of gear oil

Lost 4oz's of gear lube all day sunday. Bike calls for 24. Drained it out today and got 4ozs less back. But it was cold. Thought my crank seal was blown but I have 155lbs compression and it runs fine. Was fouling out sunday nite and thought my crank seal blew ,drawing oil up and fouling the plug. But I tore it down, really got into the carb float valve assembly and it runs great now. But still was missing 4oz gear lube. Think I need new float valve assembly but im a rookie and need advice please. I was about to send the motor in for a crank and topend locally , but now it runs fine so i dont know what to do.

I would run it again, measuring again, and see what happens.

You can easily leave an ounce or two in the motor if it's not perfectly flat, then rocked, when you drain it.

It doesnt smoke to much really once its warm, im just going to keep an eye on the level and keep running it. Runs like a champ besides the bad fuel valve, in the carb

When i drained the old stuff it had a good amount in it and i had been riding it awhile

Probly burning a small amount and we did rip down the road for like 5miles when we got turned around out on the trail and i thought i could smell somethin funny but that was the only time. I need to go on a good ride

Can u replace that seal without splitting the cases, im goimg to try and put a vid up so u can see it smoking, i figured its normal

To really know for sure if you have a crank seal that leaks on the tranny side you would need to plug off the intake and exhaust side and use some kind of a vacuum source once you have that in hand you would need to have a gauge hooked up to that vacuum and watch the gauge to see if the needle starts to move if it looses vacuum if it does you would then know that the gear lube is seaping into the crank case and fouling your plug

You probably have some oil sitting in the clutch pack, and all the little corners that hold oil. If your worried you can usually replace the seal w/o splitting the case. Just pull the inner clutch cover, remove all the gears in the way, and run a screw in the seal a few turns and pull it out. (Results may vary)

Kdx garage, what would cause my bike to pin itself wfo out of the blue, carb looks good, throttle slide is working fine, would you suspect a blown head gasket?? There is some splooge on the right side on the air fins right where the head gasket would be. I had to ride it out in fourth hear holding the back brake as it was revv8ng itself.

Or could this be the crank seal

Edit= It happened 3 times, first time i took carb apart and it had dropped the main jet, i put it back on and ran fine, it did the same thing again so i put it back on and got it tight, did it a third time and i just packed up. The first two times were WOT when she stuck, 3rd time was slow whoops.

That all happened yesterday, i took the carb apart today(looked fine), checked reed valves( small gap, i flipped them) throttle cable and slide were working( lubed them again) im running 32:1 20% castor. I was using a peice of tape in my idle screw hole(i just put a screw in). Could that tape have done it the 3rd time maybe? It was revvi.g out with the throttle closed tho.

Help is appreciated thank you

Edited by bin007

Of course its running fine on tje stand right now, it likes to do it 12miles into the woods, im confused