Sign in to follow this  

Stock chain wheel

How many teeth is the stock chain wheel . I just got a new one and the guy asked if I wanted stock and I said yes and it's only 51 I bought it not realizing my old one is 53. What is the stock size. Also u don't want to buy a new chain but I guess I will if I have to but how do you shorten the chain. The chain is original so I think it's not I ring but I don't know how to shorten it.

14/53 is stock.   You need a chain breaker, or has been said, you can grind the head of the pin off.

Jim.

BTW, guys looking for a little more low end will often run 13/51.    

13/53 is too low in some cases, but a 54 rear is the biggest you can get and for some that's not enough.

So dropping a tooth on the front to 13 and  going smaller on the rear is the only way to go then.

Jim.

Jim,

I have a 2012 CRF250X and I'm running stock sprockets. Do I need to change my chain length if I just swap out the counter sprocket? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jim,

I have a 2012 CRF250X and I'm running stock sprockets. Do I need to change my chain length if I just swap out the counter sprocket? Thanks in advance for any advice!

it is recommended you change all parts when you change one just for wear with new to old parts but I guess you don't HAVE to. And I did because I went down 2 teeth in he back and my chain was already all the way tight so I couldn't tighten it any more. But if you don't change sizes no you don't have to

Jim,

You can drop a tooth without a change in chain length.  Doing so is a fast (and cheap) way to check to see where you might want the gearing.

Jim.