Sign in to follow this  

When Should we See a New Designed CRF230?

The real question is when will KTM finally import the Freeride 350 to the states.

The real question is when will KTM finally import the Freeride 350 to the states.

It's too funny you mentioned Freeride. I love the idea of owning a Freeride. But something like it's a water cooled thumper holds me back. I would love to see KTM make the Freeride air cooled; With the 230's reliability.

It's time Crf230 becomes a 250 with good suspension minimum...because what year is this?

• Like 1

It's too funny you mentioned Freeride. I love the idea of owning a Freeride. But something like it's a water cooled thumper holds me back. I would love to see KTM make the Freeride air cooled; With the 230's reliability.

It's time Crf230 becomes a 250 with good suspension minimum...because what year is this?

Something about the letters KTM hold me back.

Into the little 230 for reliability. But remember they are toted as a starter bike for the most part so not so sure they will go with long travel taller bikes. Nor up the cc's to a 250. But they could if they wanted to, I just wouldn't count my days on it.

They will let us all know when a new model has the latest "Bold new Graphics"

• Like 1

Good topic.

So if we could change something about this bike what would it be?  How much extra would you be willing to pay for the change?

For me it would be XR250 suspension components and the extra bit of travel (10.6").  That would get us conventional cartridge forks with an adjustable shock and a bit more ground clearance.  I would have easily spent an extra $500.  Maybe an extra $750.

But honestly Vortec wasn't it more fun spending that money on the hagon shock and emulators and seeing how it completely changed the bike. We would all still feel the need to change whatever the sell us wouldn't we.

• Like 1

Why not just buy an xr? Cheaper and better all around.....

The XR200 has old ergonomics and a front drum.  The late-model XR250s have old ergonomics, bizarre power delivery, are too big and heavy.  The seat-tank ergonomics of the new bikes make a huge difference.

But honestly Vortec wasn't it more fun spending that money on the hagon shock and emulators and seeing how it completely changed the bike. We would all still feel the need to change whatever the sell us wouldn't we.

Without a doubt!  We now the perfect machines.  The 2003 XR250 in my garage is nothing like our CRF230s.

• Like 2

The real market for these little bikes aren't us. :thumbsup:

Correct...and until the up front cost and dealer commitments can pencil out a profit for all involved, it is not going to happen. Build it yourself. Dirt bikers have been doing it on their own forever. If the oem's want our money make them earn it. I am not holding my breath.

Do I wish my 230F had more mid-range power/torque? You bet.
Do I wish it had a better suspension? you bet. But not if it made the seat even one inch higher, I have enough trouble getting my leg over it.
Do I lust for the front brake of my buddy's KTM200? Sure, but I can stop the 230F just fine.

Do I want a heavier bike? hell no. Do I want a bike with a higher center of gravity? hell no.

• Like 1