Sign in to follow this  

Buying used 2006 CRF450R

Hey guys! I'm new here. My question is this: I'm looking at buying a used 2006 Honda CRF450R. I wanted to know if there is anything I should look for before making my purchase. Buyer was asking 3k but I got him down to 2k. Is that I good price if the bike runs as is and is in decent condition? Tips on what to look for to see if there is anything wrong and about how much is would cost for me to fix or for me to have someone else fix would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance and really looking forward to reading y'all's replies!!!!

Check the frame and cases for cracks, esp on the very bottom.

Me personally I would walk up, turn the fuel off then lay the bike on its right side. I'd then look closely at the bottom of the bike for cracks in the frame and bottom of the motor then I would pull the oil filter out and inspect it under a light for metal flakes. Most people won't go to this extent but it can save you from buying a bike that the motors about shot. In general they're solid bikes though. Let us know how it goes

Thanks! If the guy will let me that's what I'll do. Will removing the oil filter leak a lot of oil or make a mess or will I just be able to pull it and reinstall? I know it will be covered in oil and there will be oil in the compartment. I change my own oil.

Thanks! If the guy will let me that's what I'll do. Will removing the oil filter leak a lot of oil or make a mess or will I just be able to pull it and reinstall? I know it will be covered in oil and there will be oil in the compartment. I change my own oil.

if the bikes laying on it's right side then it'll be fine, just have a rag right there and check it out and throw it back in. If he dosnt have anything to hide and wants it sold then it shouldn't be a problem.

Carry a 8mm with a extension on a ratchet and snug it up when you tighten it back down, don't strong arm it or you'll strip it.

Other than looking for things that might already be wrong with this used bike, what things should I just plan on going ahead and doing or checking out if I end up buying it? Like should I just plan on buying it and taking it apart and checking the valves before I ride it or take it to the trails? Mainly is there a list of things that I should check/inspect/replace/change after I buy it and before I hit the trails with it. Thanks for the replies in advance!!!!!!

I like knowing I won't get stuck so I kinda go the extra mile and go through check, replace or just grease bearings in steering stem and swingarm BUT yeah check the valves and make sure that's in spec and the carb is running 100%. I'd prob change the vacuum seal and plate since most manuals say do so every 25 hours and nobody does this ever and it really helps with how crisp the carb runs down low, new ncvs needle, inspect the needle jet for it ovaling.. Wheels spin free and spokes tight. And as for any bike service the suspension and get it set up right for your weight and riding style... Suspension is key.

If there aren't any maintenance records it will need work unless it is a real low hour bike. I run an hour meter and keep a maintenance log. Its just easier to know what it needs and when.

• Like 1

True that. If it dosnt have a hour meter then first thing I'd pick up a works connection hour meter. Theirs also has a tach built in and is really small.

• Like 1

How do you verify ovaling of the needle? Got an 08 with a groove in the needle. Wondering if this is a wear mark or intended groove.

Ace, I'm in Illinois as well and own an 08 crf450r. I cruise class regularly to kill time and have not been able to find a 450 of any color under 3k. I'd say you have a good price if the bike is in good shape.

All CRF's need a valve upgrade eventually.

If this bike has not had one yet, you should budget in $500-700 for this work.

Condition is everything

Thank you very much for this!! These are the kind of things that I'm looking for. Why is it so expensive? Are the parts the main cost or the work? My brother and his friend (mechanic) rebuilt his 2000 KTM 250 2-stroke engine. So if the main cost is labor I could probably have my brother and his friend help me out. Edited by TheAce15

You must have missed the part in my last post where I said my brothers friend who is a motorcycle mechanic would be doing the work with me. Thanks for the advice though.

You must have missed the part in my last post where I said my brothers friend who is a motorcycle mechanic would be doing the work with me. Thanks for the advice though.

I understand, but unless he works on CRF's specifically, it will not be fun. 

It's your call.

How will I know that the valves need to be replaced? And what would happen if I continued to ride it after the valves went bad?

Edited by TheAce15

it will be hard to start when cold if the valve lash is too small. best thing to do is ride the bike and see how it sounds and runs.condition is everything when buying a used bike. unless you are getting a great price i would look for something newer, the 07 and 08 bikes are much better bikes.

it will be hard to start when cold if the valve lash is too small. best thing to do is ride the bike and see how it sounds and runs.condition is everything when buying a used bike. unless you are getting a great price i would look for something newer, the 07 and 08 bikes are much better bikes.

what is better about a 07 than a 06?! Please inform me