Sign in to follow this  

Help...WTB

Can't find a kick starter for my 98 xr4 anywhere in the states. Found one on eBay and it turned out to be the wrong one. Anyone have one or have a lead on one for sale? It may prompt me to sell the bike, I'm worried about finding parts for it now. Don't want an e start either...

Do you need the kick arm joint too? If your existing joint is ok, the kick arm from any year model should fit it.

The next option option would be to upgrade to a newer year model kickstart gear assembly, then the '99 and up kickstart lever assemblies will fit.

Edited by Trailryder42

The 99 and newer have a larger kick spindle, so without changing that out, which beside the side cover, I don't know what entails. Also, the 98 joint doesn't fit the newer model arm with out grinding the joint down to allow rotation; the steel detent ball is on the opposite side also.

Yeah, I knew the shaft had been beefed up. Bummer that they changed everything else too that you can't swap parts between models. Looking more closely at the schematics, even if you swapped out the gear assembly and shaft bearing/seal, the new bear/seal wouldn't fit your current case cover.

Someone had a hell of a bout with short sightedness when redesigning the kickstarter between those year models and when they discontinued the kick start arm of your model.

I think my next move would be to call Service Honda directly. Even tho they show the part as discontinued, any parts guy worth his salt has a lot of contacts in the industry and may be able to locate a NOS part for you or give you some leads.

I did call service Honda and they said they couldn't find one anywhere in the states.  Do you know if the 96/97 arm will fit on the 98 joint?  Or will the 96/97 complete assy fit on the 98?

The new kick parts end in 761, the old parts in 760. Honda increments the last number when a part is updated.

You can take a new kick starter 003 and adapt it to the old joint 002... I think. The kick starter shaft diameter in the joint kick arm should be the only difference.

99-04 parts

002 JOINT, KICK ARM 28241-KCY-761 001 $33.45 $25.21

003 ARM, KICK STARTER 28300-KCY-761 001 $110.76 $83.46

96-98 parts

002 JOINT, KICK ARM 28241-KCY-760 001 $31.35 $23.62

003 ARM, KICK STARTER 28300-KCY-760 DISCONTINUED

This is a joint for a 98. They have another listed for the 96-97.

I thought Honda only changed this once.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kick-Start-Shaft-Joint-Knuckle-1998-XR400R-XR-400-R-OEM-Honda-Parts-Y77-/360935266680?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AHonda&hash=item54096b1978&vxp=mtr

Edited by Kev_XR

I would get a digital calipers and measure the shaft. Then order the joint.

In this forum, there is a History of parts that changed on the xr400 from 96-04. 2nd gear, kick starter, fork springs, carb specs, muffler insert to one piece, and plastic color. That is most of the changes.

The kickstarter shouldn't break. The shaft might, which is why Honda updated it. Sometimes the lower joint gets stripped due to a lack of tightening. I see this a lot on old abused 100-125cc Honda singles.

Since you know you have the older haft, here is how not to break it... Don't be an idiot. Seriously, people do dumb things. Flood the motor and jump on the kick starter. Liquids don't compress. Really cold morning, jump on the kickstarter like you hate it. XRs like long smooth kicks. 2- strokes will fire up with a foot slap.

Edited by Kev_XR