Sign in to follow this  

cr85 play bike for grown up

I'm in the process of rebuilding my cr250(waiting on a bloody gasket kit) and I've been playing around with my wife's kx80 to fill my riding fix. Having blast scooting around my yard and mini enduro track off property has got me thinking....

I would like a cr85/80 built to carry my 190# 6'2" ass around as a play bike. I know what your thinking.....it's too small, suspension too soft, etc but this will be a play bike. And I love Honda 2t's

But can anything be done to it to handle my weight?? Springs? Shock valving? Lower gearing?? FWW..

I'm thinking a purpose built cr85 pit bike would be cool when not ripping on the 250, good for my camping area, back yard, etc. play bike.

So here is the question...

How would you set up a honda cr80/85 as a play bike for a 190#, 6'2" grown up??

I'm in the process of rebuilding my cr250(waiting on a bloody gasket kit) and I've been playing around with my wife's kx80 to fill my riding fix. Having blast scooting around my yard and mini enduro track off property has got me thinking....

I would like a cr85/80 built to carry my 190# 6'2" ass around as a play bike. I know what your thinking.....it's too small, suspension too soft, etc but this will be a play bike. And I love Honda 2t's

But can anything be done to it to handle my weight?? Springs? Shock valving? Lower gearing?? FWW..

I'm thinking a purpose built cr85 pit bike would be cool when not ripping on the 250, good for my camping area, back yard, etc. play bike.

So here is the question...

How would you set up a honda cr80/85 as a play bike for a 190#, 6'2" grown up??

Have you started yet?  I have an 03 CR85 and I'm 6' 6" 195#'s. I want to do the same thing with mine, but I would like to know how it's working for others before I go too far.

I may end up trading the CR for a DRZ/KLX 125 or KLX140 and use KX or RM 100/85 suspension if the 2T isn't working out. My daughter has a stock DRZ125 and its a blast, but with the better suspension, + stiffer springs, and a little more power it would be perfect for a back yard track.

Have you started yet? I have an 03 CR85 and I'm 6' 6" 195#'s. I want to do the same thing with mine, but I would like to know how it's working for others before I go too far.

I may end up trading the CR for a DRZ/KLX 125 or KLX140 and use KX or RM 100/85 suspension if the 2T isn't working out. My daughter has a stock DRZ125 and its a blast, but with the better suspension, + stiffer springs, and a little more power it would be perfect for a back yard track.

I haven't really done anything other than think about I want to do with the kx...

The kx80 has proven to be a great learners bike for teens and small adults, we've cracked the front rim and the rear wheel is pretty much done. The plan over winter is to swap in the kx100 rear swing arm, suspension and tire. Same with the front, kx100 stuff. The engine is getting pulled and the chassis is getting redone as well. Other than cosmetic stuff and the wheels, the kx is solid.

I'm not sure if it is worth it(at least for us) to adultize the 80, but I will build it up using stock parts off eBay and Craigslist. We should get many years of service out of it, using it as a play/learners bike.

Thanks for the response. I have my eye on an 07 KX100 with a seized motor for $450. If the guy will get back to me I'll most likely buy it, if not I'll keep looking for a while. If I get that bike for $450 I can part out everything but the suspension and wheels on Ebay and get most of my money back. Then I have the suspension I need real cheap, instead of buying it all off Ebay for about $6-700. If something like that works out soon I'll sale or trade the CR85 for a DRZ/KLX and go that route. If not then I'm going to start on the 85.

Wow I just realized, that's a lot of if's. :jawdrop:   Looks like I may be going the 2t route. :thumbsup: