Sign in to follow this  

1995 xr 200 top end rattling ?

hi everyone, just got this 200 , runs lika a charm but top end rattle u can hear above the engine when the bike is coming up the road.

ive read about the timing chain issues, so i removed the top valve cover and side cover and check the chain for slop slowing turning the engine a complete turn.  no slop anywhere in the chain.

so wander what the noise could be ??

ive watched the yutube video also so i believe im doin everything right.  also done the tensioner adjustment by loosing  the 14mm up at idle.  didnt help.

rockers,cam,sprocket in good shape.

could it be a wrist pin or ??

Could definitely be the wrist pin or connecting rod itself. I've had both go south on my old xr200r. Excessive valve lash would cause a chattering noise as well, has been mistaken for bad or loose timing chain before. Old school al is the guy you would want to be answering your questions on this, he seems to be the guru around here.

Here's a little trick I learned from a mechanic friend of mine. It will tell you if you have free play in the wrist pin or connecting rod or both

(1) remove the spark plug

(2) remove both small covers on the left side of the engine(used for timing process)

(3) get yourself a ratchet and I think a 15mm socket

(4) turn the engine until the t mark on the magneto lines up with the groove on the upper hole(you are at top dead center) it doesn't need to be at tdc but it's easier to find something long enough to reach the piston that way. See below

(5) find something small and long enough to fit in the spark plug hole (wooden chopstick)able to touch the top of the piston( at top dead center the piston is fairly close to the plug hole

(6) then with the ratchet move the engine slightly both forward and backward while holding the chopstick on the top of the piston. If there is excessive free play you will notice that the ratchet is moving the crank but the piston takes a slight moment to move in unison with the crank.If that is the case then chances are you have a bad connecting rod, wrist pin, piston or any of the above.

Again there may be better ways to do this but it's the one I know! Hope this helps you and good luck!

Just be extra careful not to break anything off in the cylinder when you do this, slight movements should be safe.

Better to do the easy stuff first to see if they have any impact on the noise; the cam chain tensioner can hang and not adjust the chain. I've often had to do the process several times, including using a small Phillip screw driver and hammer to break the rod loose and release the split collars. You will know when the collars are loose because you can feel the pressure from the tension spring when you push down on the screw driver.

Read this post:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/232052-old-school-al-cam-chain-question/#entry1868045

Edited by Chuck.