Sign in to follow this  

EFI?

I was at the dealer getting some exhaust gaskets in preparation for my MRD install.

The guy behind the counter was a respected motocross racer and claimed they make a bolt on EFI kit for the DRZ that works very well.

Can this be true or is it BS?

Thanks

I was at the dealer getting some exhaust gaskets in preparation for my MRD install.

The guy behind the counter was a respected motocross racer and claimed they make a bolt on EFI kit for the DRZ that works very well.

Can this be true or is it BS?

Thanks

you should of asked him who made it. would assume it would be expensive. you would have to buy the injector and it probably has a seperate module for fuel timing and a bunch of other crap. if they did. by by carb!!!

Ecotrons makes a kit for the DR650 I believe, maybe he got them confused  :excuseme:

http://www.ecotrons.com/products/400cc_to_800cc_engine_fuel_injection_kit/

If I had deep pockets I would try and fit one of these kits to a DRZ. Would be a cool project for sure!

$699 isn't so bad for what you get with this kit, wow! Wideband, MAP, CLT and air temp sensors, fuel pump, coil, throttle body, injector and ECU all in one package? That's actually a stonking good deal. 

I would do this before a FCR carb anyday, but I built and tuned a megasquirt so I'm pretty comfortable with it. The ProCAL software looks a little iffy, but its all just numbers.

If someone wants me to be a guinea pig they can start a kickstarter for one and I'll do all the work installing. :D

Edited by everlast

$699 isn't so bad for what you get with this kit, wow! Wideband, MAP, CLT and air temp sensors, fuel pump, coil, throttle body, injector and ECU all in one package? That's actually a stonking good deal. 

I would do this before a FCR carb anyday, but I built and tuned a megasquirt so I'm pretty comfortable with it. The ProCAL software looks a little iffy, but its all just numbers.

If someone wants me to be a guinea pig they can start a kickstarter for one and I'll do all the work installing. :D

thats what im saying!!!

The LTZ400 quad has efi, was wondering why I haven.t seen one installed on a DRZ yet. 

The LTZ400 quad has efi, was wondering why I haven.t seen one installed on a DRZ yet.

those are questions everyone has asked. I think im not sure though, this guy at the suzuki dealer said they are planning to come out with a drz 400 with fuel injection. But i never believe those guys. Just have to wait and find out.

I always thought it was weird for honda to fuel inject the xr250 and not the xr650. You would think the other way around lol

One downside could be the power requirements.. but switching to an HID and all LED could help with that. You need to run a fuel pump and the ECU. The o2 sensor musn't be heated, so that also means you run in open loop for quite a while until its warm enough so the tune has to be pretty good. Gonna be hard to tune the cold start and enrichment parameters without lamba feedback.. If I were doing it I'd rig up a heated O2 sensor in the garage just for cold starts and the warm up map.

The LTZ400 has a low tech verison of EFI, its open loop. There is no active feedback, no O2 sensor. The setup is also wicked expensive, look up the parts for the LTZ400 to put EFI on a DRZ400, and you'll easily hit $2000.

That said, if I was to get the Ecotrons kit, I might use an LTZ400 throttle body.

One downside could be the power requirements.. but switching to an HID and all LED could help with that. You need to run a fuel pump and the ECU. The o2 sensor musn't be heated, so that also means you run in open loop for quite a while until its warm enough so the tune has to be pretty good. Gonna be hard to tune the cold start and enrichment parameters without lamba feedback.. If I were doing it I'd rig up a heated O2 sensor in the garage just for cold starts and the warm up map.

You can also get the aftermarket stator, I believe it puts out 200W.

1 I was at the dealer getting some exhaust gaskets in preparation for my MRD install.

2 The guy behind the counter

3was a respected motocross racer and

4 claimed they

5 make a bolt on EFI kit

6 for the DRZ that

7 works very well.

8 Can this be true or is it BS?

Thanks

1 sweet, you'll like the noise

2 uh oh, counter knowledge incoming

3 motox racer, working a counter 

4 who is 'they' ? 

5 yes, there are bolt on kits for just about anything, with enough money and time you can have one too

6 good luck finding that

7 i doubt it

8 the latter

about twice a year someone has a problem with their carburator on the drz, and thinks "EFF THIS I WANT EFI !!! ITS GOT TO BE EASY CAUSE I HAVE EFI ON MY CAR!" and then they start asking questions. on about the 3rd or 4th question they realize it's going to be extremely expensive, complicated, and require upgrading other expensive parts to make it work. then they compare the benefits of EFI like the 3 seconds you spend starting a cold bike to the volumes of benefits of carbs.... easy tear down, easy diagnosis, super cheap to rejet and clean, etc

then, they dump the plans and go ride. 

i'll save you the time, just go ride. 

I would disagree with the complicated / cheap to rejet / easy teardown and diagnosis. It's not complicated, it's FREE to "rejet" a programmable EFI, the parts are all separate and easy to spot and diagnosis is dead simple with a ECU log. NEVER does an EFI guy look at a log and wonder why his car is not starting. :) Wanna add a turbo? Np, just plumb it and tune.

On a bike though, space is limited and weight is premium. 

As far as expense, you can do it cheaper than $700: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/microsquirt-c-35.html

Still need all the ancillary stuff like fuel pump, sensors. Those are easy to source.. the main challenge would be sourcing a TB. But once someone figures out a cheap TB I bet you could do this for under the price of an FCR carb. Would make a helluva thumpertalk store kit.

i'll save you the time, just go ride. 

Very much like this though. :D

Edited by everlast

I wouldn't be .. I'm too " old school " .

Me neither! You just can't repair EFI in the middle of nowhere with a pocket knife... :D

• Like 2

Me neither! You just can't repair EFI in the middle of nowhere with a pocket knife... :D[/quote i wonder if the kit comes with a kit to wire in a check engine light haha

i wonder if the kit comes with a kit to wire in a check engine light haha

I think it actually does lol.

- On board self-diagnosis with a MIL lamp

One thing that would be highly useful is a long trip with elevation changes. You would get better fuel economy with EFI than possible with carb. Dual maps means you could make one map for HP on high octane fuel and one for high mpg on 87 octane, running lean at highway speeds and fuel cut on decel.

I think it actually does lol.

- On board self-diagnosis with a MIL lamp

yeah all going through the ecu. I was just joking about that comment
  • Like 1

I always thought it was weird for honda to fuel inject the xr250 and not the xr650. You would think the other way around lol

I think its weird that Honda has not redone the 650's dual sport,  those bikes are super ugly,  straight out of the mid 80's,