Sign in to follow this  

Gear Shifting Oddity

I was riding my Crf230f yesterday and when downshifting it seemed as though I had to press the shifter down more times than the gear I was in. For example, I would be in third and had to press down 4 or maybe even five times to get to first. When I first bought the bike earlier this month it was difficult to get it in to neutral because the shifter was so sensitive. If you tapped it too hard it would skip neutral and go to second. I changed the oil and afterwards it shifted into neutral normally. FYI, the bike has had the same oil sitting in it for 7 years, most of which was spent in storage. Considering the neutral issue got better after an oil change, should I drain and refill the oil a second time to flush out any contaminants that may still be lurking inside the transmission? Otherwise, there aren't any issues with shifting.

I was riding my Crf230f yesterday and when downshifting it seemed as though I had to press the shifter down more times than the gear I was in. For example, I would be in third and had to press down 4 or maybe even five times to get to first. When I first bought the bike earlier this month it was difficult to get it in to neutral because the shifter was so sensitive. If you tapped it too hard it would skip neutral and go to second. I changed the oil and afterwards it shifted into neutral normally. FYI, the bike has had the same oil sitting in it for 7 years, most of which was spent in storage. Considering the neutral issue got better after an oil change, should I drain and refill the oil a second time to flush out any contaminants that may still be lurking inside the transmission? Otherwise, there aren't any issues with shifting.

I doubt your issue is oil. Some issues come from a little star shaped part that's about the size of a quarter.

2014 Honda CRF150F

PLATE SET, SHIFT DRUM (24410-KVS-305)

That's the part for a 2014 150f. It's under $20 so it's cheap to give it a try and see if that's it. Hope that's helps. FYI-if you take off you case cover, you see the part. It's easy to replace without a manual or previous knowledge of your motor.