Sign in to follow this  

97 cr250 dcv to recharge battery

This is my first time posting to a forum and I am a new member. My question is will the rectifier/regulator that comes stock on 97cr250 be able to handle the extra wattage from a lighting stator? Or do I need a heavier duty unit. I'm putting together a light setup for my plated CR and I don't want to have to charge it. I know Ricky stator does not make a kit for that year anymore. Any help is very appreciated.

What is the wattage rating of the new stator?

Configuring your wiring to have a constant consumption of the stator's output helps the rectifier not need to convert the unused electricity into heat.  A headlight and tail light that are always on is the easy way.

It's going to be a Ricky Stator he said realistic numbers are 25w. In a perfect world I would have a battery on the bike to keep all lights even and have any extra power from the stator go to recharging it. I was originally planning on a 50w output but he said that's not what they do. Thanks for any input I really appreciate the help. Any led headlight suggestions?

I am going to be running the headlight off stator power and a total loss setup for the rest. Unless someone has a higher power stator they would like to sell me :). Thanks for the help. I have read a lot on the forum and have seen you helping others. Which in turn helped me understand things better. Just wanted to say thanks for your opinion it's very useful.

How much output does the stock stator have?  Probably not too much less than 25w. 

Many smaller LED bulbs are in the 1w-3w range.  So even with 25w you could run LED tail/brake, LED blinkers, electronic LED blinker relay, etc. and still have enough for a feeble headlight.  I run a headlight with two MR16 size bulbs.  I wired it so the low beam is a 3w LED, the high beam is a 30w halogen.  They're enough to be seen by cars, but not nearly enough for riding at night.

Also, wire it so that you can hit a switch and turn off all the lights.  That way all the stator output goes to rechargning the battery.

superbrightled.com has some nice lighting options. and they work very well. what wires are you tapping into for your lights? i am interested in a head light for my 96 cr250

97-99 has a power jet running off 12v DC. So I am getting power after the regulator rectifier so it's already converted to DC. I don't think 96 has dc voltage anywhere. You could put a regulator rectifier in line of your ac output from the stator then you would have some power to work with. The stock unit on the cr might run some led lights. I have upgraded mine to a Ricky stator. He built me one since they are not making them for my year anymore. He is very helpful I your looking for a stator.

I heard the stock stator puts out about 15w. The upgraded one is more like 35. So still not a whole lot to work with. And I am going to tie the system together so it will charge battery with extra power. The 97-99 cr250 has separate circuits so even if the battery is dead the bike will still run. No lights that way tho.

97-99 has a power jet running off 12v DC

Only 97& 98 have the power jet carb.

A friend has a '97 CR250 he wants to put on the street, and I'm helping with how to get some useable power. So, any big problems that would prevent using a Ricky Stator 100 watt flywheel/stator kit for '99~'01, provided it's assumed that the solenoid on the carb will be disabled & the needle replaced, maybe change out the CDI for a non-powerjet? Seems to me that the crankshaft will be the same, but I've never worked on a CR250 of any year so I don't know if there's any fine details changed between years such as the taper on the end of the crank. Anybody know if that kit will just bolt on? I asked Ricky Stator, but they didn't even attempt to answer that. They did however offer to re-wind the existing stator for enough power to ride in the daytime. But I still don't know why I can't hack this bike a little more than just bolt stuff on. I'll make a wiring harness if need be. I have a 1lb spool of 18AWG magnet wire & proper coil winding varnish. I even have a 20 amp custom single-phase rec/reg that can dump more power than the stock CR wiring can handle - (probably put that regulator behind the headlight, it's for a Goldwing!)