Sign in to follow this  

XR650L mods - ditching OEM carb & exhaust baffle

I just bought a 1995-96 Honda 250R ATC exhaust to extract the larger baffle - plan is to install in the factory pipe when I purchase a new 2014 or 2015 XR650L. I want to retain the OEM exhaust, maybe with an aftermarket header to improve flow - maintain a stealthy factory stock appearance.

Out of the starting gate, I want to install a Keihin FCR41 pumper carb and open the intake some. Will also regear front and rear sprockets to improve stump pulling ability.

With that said, what can I expect in terms of unlocking horsepower and torque with this setup?

What other mods will improve torque without getting into the bottom end?

Thanks.

C6 DNA, on 20 May 2014 - 7:56 PM, said:

I just bought a 1995-96 Honda 250R ATC exhaust to extract the larger baffle - plan is to install in the factory pipe when I purchase a new 2014 or 2015 XR650L. I want to retain the OEM exhaust, maybe with an aftermarket header to improve flow - maintain a stealthy factory stock appearance.

Out of the starting gate, I want to install a Keihin FCR41 pumper carb and open the intake some. Will also regear front and rear sprockets to improve stump pulling ability.

With that said, what can I expect in terms of unlocking horsepower and torque with this setup?

What other mods will improve torque without getting into the bottom end?

Thanks.

#1. with stock internals only about 3-5HP est. But jetting is better so it will run far better than the numbers would indicate. #2. Not much, replace the stock filter and open up the airbox.  More compression is the next step but that's getting internal. This is a 650, how much stump pulling power do you need?

#1. with stock internals only about 3-5HP est. But jetting is better so it will run far better than the numbers would indicate. #2. Not much, replace the stock filter and open up the airbox.  More compression is the next step but that's getting internal. This is a 650, how much stump pulling power do you need?

Well.. I used to ride a lightweight open class 2-stroke bike. I've ridden a DRZ400S and wasn't too impressed with the power. I would pursue a Beta 520, but after thinking about it, I want an old school air-cooled big bore. I want simple... exotic with radiators and water pumps concern me - I don't want the extra maintenance.

The XR weight has me concerned however, I'll move the battery to center and try to shed some unnecessary weight - smog stuff, etc. I don't think increasing compression will go well with 91 octane pump gas.. I know where to get 100 octane unleaded race gas from the pump - just don't want the hassle. Been there and done that.

Keep it simple, but enjoyable...

That's my moto...

I run 91 in my L with a JE piston and no issues at all. I'd never recommend it as a stand alone mod however. Without intake and exhaust mods it would be a problem. Weight is high but you learn to use it to your advantage. You can't get much simpler than an XR.

Thanks for the insight.. when I get the bike in my garage, I will definitely need some coaching...

From "been there, done that" land:

Header... save your money. You wont realize much, if any gain until you start passing a lot more air through the mil. Big bore, cam, high-comp piston, porting, etc. Grind out the welds on the OE header and you have the same flow as most aftermarket headers. If you go with a header with much larger tubes with an essentially stock engine, you will just end up making the bottom end torque worse with no ability to realize any top end gains.

FCR carb... it's a toss up between the FCR and USD forks as to which was the best mod I have done to my bike. Dont spend the extra dough though for a 41mm. THey only came on a single year of CRF450R so they are expensive. The 40mm FCRs came on numerous years of CRF250s and 450s so they are much more plentiful and will likely do a better job on a stock XRL... again, you wont realize any gains from a larger bore carb unless you are moving enough air to need it.

14/48 sprockets is a good combo for the pig.

Good info... I've never owned a big bore thumper, many variables compared to a 2-stroke. I'd be willing to have top end work performed, but it would need to be a proven setup.

Does anyone sell a USD fork kit for the L? ... or maybe there's a list of Honda OEM part numbers to compete an install?

Thanks

Does anyone sell a USD fork kit for the L? ... or maybe there's a list of Honda OEM part numbers to compete an install?

I doubt there's a "kit" but there are plenty of members here who can/will supply part numbers and advice. I don't comment on the subject anymore cause there are too many ways to achieve the end result. These swaps can go sideways on you fast so get savvy on the subject and comfortable with all the steps before you buy the first piece.

Any of you guys remember or ride at Saddleback, Open Country, Claude Osteen and Indian Dunes parks?

All my riding places... in addition to El Mirage Dry Lake.

Any of you guys remember or ride at Saddleback, Open Country, Claude Osteen and Indian Dunes parks?

All my riding places... in addition to El Mirage Dry Lake.

I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey for a short stint in the early '80s. I had my bike with me, but did not have a lot of free time to ride. I did ride at Hollister Hills and the small track at Laguna Seca a few times though. That was the extent of my California riding.