Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning the Exhaust Header

Soak your header in a bucket of heavy duty simple green all purpose cleaner for a couple hours, you can get it at Walmart or Canadian tire.. then if you don't have a preasure washer bring it to your local car wash and giver!

• Like 1

I typically use scotch brite, so as not to get any rust spots on the pipe..............

• Like 1

There are a number of ways...

Hard Way: fine steel wool an wd40

Easy Way: baking soda blaster

Most people including myself don't have access to a baking soda blaster so steel wool works for me.

Yeah..... my super race inspired FMF Fatty Pipe needs some scrubbing too, but I HATE shiney reflective things on bikes, or cars for that matter.  So I won't be polishing it to a 'shine', just to keep it clean looking.

BTW, does anyone know why there's alot of "spooge" dripping right out of the pipe where it connects to the exhaust port?  Is it normal?  Or do I need a new exhaust gasket on there? 

Edited by Honda_Power

Soak your header in a bucket of heavy duty simple green all purpose cleaner for a couple hours, you can get it at Walmart or Canadian tire.. then if you don't have a preasure washer bring it to your local car wash and giver!

Simple Green is amazing stuff.  Not even toxic.  Just be sure to thoroughly clean the parts with water then WD-40 after.  We put some galvanized bolts in Simple Green and they developed surface rust.  Anyway, for removing carbon, there is nothing better I have found.

Yeah..... my super race inspired FMF Fatty Pipe needs some scrubbing too, but I HATE shiney things on bikes, or cars for that matter. 

BTW, does anyone know why there's alot of "spooge" dripping right out of the pipe where it connects to the exhaust port?  Is it normal?  Or do I need a new exhaust gasket on there? 

That's the muffler bearing seal.  When it goes, you need to replace the bearing and the seal.  You can't see the bearing from the outside of the pipe, so you'll have to reach in with your fingers.  When you feel the little latch, give it a tug and the bearing should come right out.  Best to replace the rear one at the same time.

That's the muffler bearing seal.  When it goes, you need to replace the bearing and the seal.  You can't see the bearing from the outside of the pipe, so you'll have to reach in with your fingers.  When you feel the little latch, give it a tug and the bearing should come right out.  Best to replace the rear one at the same time.

If your bike has a headlight also make sure to keep the fluid toped up for it too right? or else your bulb brightness will suffer eh

Yeah..... my super race inspired FMF Fatty Pipe needs some scrubbing too, but I HATE shiney reflective things on bikes, or cars for that matter.  So I won't be polishing it to a 'shine', just to keep it clean looking.

Throw your pipe away

shove a carrot in the exhaust port and kick it over for perfect slices.

• Like 1

There are a number of ways...

Hard Way: fine steel wool an wd40

Easy Way: baking soda blaster

Most people including myself don't have access to a baking soda blaster so steel wool works for me.

there are a few pretty simple, cheap DIY's to make a soda blaster. I allready have one "made" going to try it on my tripple clamps.

• Like 1

there are a few pretty simple, cheap DIY's to make a soda blaster. I allready have one "made" going to try it on my tripple clamps.

We've got one of those diy soda blasters that's a black gun/trigger with a hose that goes into the bag filed with sand, and sits pressurized air too. Use one of the 50lb bags of soda from HF and crank the compressor to like 160 and it works great, only cost like 30-40$

Throw your pipe away

shove a carrot in the exhaust port and kick it over for perfect slices.

That...

That would be a good idea to slice anything!

Man, why isn't it in every kitchen...

Oh come on you guys!  Someone asks a serious question and you go on and on about muffler bearings!

The reason it is leaking is because you have the wrong springs.  You need Clockwise exhaust springs.  The Counter-Clockwise exhaust springs tend to unwind and loosen due to centrifugal force.