Shock oil question (I did search)

I just finished revalving my suspension and dropped by my local dealer for fluids. My Racetech DVS results call for 5w fork oil and US1 shock oil.

At my dealer there was a Maxima fork oil and only saw KYB K2C shock oil. Two employees told me their service department uses the Maxima fork fluid for forks and shocks so I'd be good buying the one type of oil. I searched the forums and it seems that everyone has a differing opinion on if it's OK to use fork oil in shocks for non-racing. The Maxima bottle says it's comparable to Honda SS7 oil, which I saw on the shelf labeled as "Fork and Shock Oil". Does this mean that I'll be ok to use it? I'm a C class rider at best but don't race.

US1=15.2 cst @40c

SS07=16.44cst @40c

Non standardisation of suspension fluid ratings makes it hard for the average guy to make sence of what's on the bottle...

All of the above fluids are quality lubricants. The higher the cst (centistrokes) the more dampening force created with the same valving.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Edited by KBRPKENNY

Why not get the Kyb shock oil it's very good from what I read

Because it's $23 a bottle and the guys at the dealership said I can just use the rest of the 2nd Maxima bottle I was buying for the forks. It all happened so fast?

I'll probably go pick up the KYB fluid today and install it just so I'm in line with the Racetech recommendations.

Stuck shims??????.....they migrate and flex over each other when the shaft travels through the oil.

When shock oil is hot you can feel the shock fade.....IF the V.I. Is not sufficient. Motul Says 400 but tested even higher in independent tests.

And some big name shock oils give up as low as 22/25 hrs for me ...Spike on comp. and hoping up on reb.

I've tested Motul up to 68 hrs in my own race bike. Looked very good when it came out and shock felt virtually the same after service.

There is prolly something better....y'all let me know.

• 6 years later...
On 5/23/2014 at 9:44 PM, E-TECH said:

Stuck shims??????.....they migrate and flex over each other when the shaft travels through the oil.

When shock oil is hot you can feel the shock fade.....IF the V.I. Is not sufficient. Motul Says 400 but tested even higher in independent tests.

And some big name shock oils give up as low as 22/25 hrs for me ...Spike on comp. and hoping up on reb.

I've tested Motul up to 68 hrs in my own race bike. Looked very good when it came out and shock felt virtually the same after service.

There is prolly something better....y'all let me know.

@E-TECH sorry for waking the thread up after so long, do you remember what kind of Motul was that? was it perhaps the Technosynthese? Thanks!