2014 EXC 500 Exhaust / Silencer Perf Screen Removal - Finally a how-to

Alright, I've searched long and hard to see if I could find a legitimate solution on this. From what I've read and then tried, none of them worked for providing a clean solution. (Including a promising "Drill 1/4" holes at 9 and 3 oclock and "taco" the screen out. There is no tacoing the screen out with only two holes. Its bulletproof)

I removed mine like this: (check the .jpg dropbox links to see the screens and exhaust.)

1. I drilled holes and starting peeling back the perf screen until it was basically just at the perimeter of the exhaust open.

2. I took a drill and started to drill a vertical line of holes down the screen creating a "cut" of holes until I basically got to the base of the screen where it connects to the muffler.(see picture- where the screen is separated is where the vertical holes were drilled to "split" the screen)

3. I took a pair of pliers and held on tight to one of the sides of the perf screen where I drilled the line of holes and "peeled"/ "pulled" the screen from out of the slot that its sandwhiched in.

-PRO TIP: The screen is not welded in. It is rested on a shoulder inside the exhaust. Then there is a retaining washer that sits on the other side to keep the screen in and the washer is welded on. So you can literally pull the screen from between the washer and shoulder if you drilled down.

SEE PICTURE OF DRILLED SCREEN: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v5q6a5c0tdiwwuj/Screens.jpg

FINAL OUTCOME OF EXHAUST: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn6f2g0dwg1po4i/Exhaust.jpg

I hope this helps. It now runs leaner and pops a bit on decel. I'm ready for a more aggressive and richer remap and didn't spend money on a new silencer! Score!

It is louder but still quieter than my KX250F with full Procircuit exhaust.

I hope this helps.

Edited by ruphianh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sirthumpalots statement is misleading. There are two screens at the outlet that must be removed. There is an internal spark arrestor screen about 3 or 4 inches long. You can pull off the end cap and you'll see the spark arrestor screen.

Your description was better than mine, thanks. ?

Super easy to remove these screens.  I drilled 2 holes right next to each other, drove in a large flathead screwdriver, placed some folded cardboard as a buffer to not scratch up the muffler and then leveraged those suckers right out.  Took about 60 seconds start to finish

That is what I was looking for, thanks all.  I have the JD tuner that made a huge difference and am thinking opening the exhaust and adding a little more fuel will be a further step in the right direction.  The bike is a monster though!!

• 4 months later...

Okay, and after you removed this screen (the one seen), what was the obvious?

When a drilled out the end cap on my drz, the bike got a nice rumble, and the brakes got alittle weaker, cause of less engine braking.

Just curious, You see Bestdualsports, tape over the hole of the Pos crank ventilator , and re install the hose, did any one ever try that, to see the effect?

My crankcase vent hose was routed to the air box and I just disconnect it from the or box and let it hand down below the bike. I then plugged the hole in the air box. I don't think plugging the crankcase would be a good idea, too much pressure might blow a seal.

• Like 1

My crankcase vent hose was routed to the air box and I just disconnect it from the or box and let it hand down below the bike. I then plugged the hole in the air box. I don't think plugging the crankcase would be a good idea, too much pressure might blow a seal.

That's what the block off kit does, removes the orifice and blocks the hole in the cylinder, what year do you have , mine doesnt go to the airbox, Its just a large hose with a black filter on the end.

I may be confused Im talking about the one that's suppose to bring air in to the exhaust, Ill look and see if I have another line going to the airbox

Okay pete I checked, yeah I have an additional line going to the aibox, that must be the one your speaking of.

Edited by Spud786

Sirthumpalots statement is misleading. There are two screens at the outlet that must be removed. There is an internal spark arrestor screen about 3 or 4 inches long. You can pull off the end cap and you'll see the spark arrestor screen.

Do you also have the block off kit installed?