Sign in to follow this  

Washington trail maps for garmin gpsmap 64 st (Taneum)?

Hi

I'm looking at getting a Garmin gpsmap 64 st GPS for trail riding.  I guess the unit comes with maps pre installed but was wondering if it will have detailed trail system maps for areas like Taneum, Little Naches, Manastash, Table Mountain and the Lake Wenatchee/Mad River systems?  if not dose any one know where I might be able to find detailed maps of these areas for this GPS?  also dose any one have any opinions of the Garmin gpsmap 64 st ?   any one else using one? is it a good unit to consider for trail riding? 

Thanks guys

-Rex

I have a 64st and the learning curve is very high. Without  rechargeable batteries it's useless. If you mark camp it's good for getting back if your lost. I have a handle  bar mount that has failed and was lucky enough to find  the 62st 12 miles from camp. The good is that you can download a ride and it will show speed route etc. That time you were wide full open doing 70mph was really 45. :banghead:

A 64st  seems over kill.  IMO the biggest bang for the buck is the old 60 or 74 (both have the same operating system).  The next gen 62/76 has a more complex and difficult to use interface, but more features and memory.  I have owned several 74s, 62, and an Oregon. They all have great reception in our forest canopy and mountains. The Oregon is nice and small but the lack of buttons has delegated this unit to hiking only.

My recommendation for the older models is at least a colorscreen and SD card.  Also look at the features as some  are of little use  for trail riding. I don't need built in maps or a camera, IMO a wast of money.

Motorcycles have dirty power and some of these units don't have good filtering for using bike power.  Snowmule has posted more info on this subject. So I use the internal batteries because they last 15-18 hours, just keep track of operating time and swap in fresh batteries. Plus I always carry spares in case I need to spend a night in the woods or hike out. Contrary to some others reporting battery issue with some other Garmin units I have never had a problem with batteries in any of my units even on a vibrating XR.

Switchbacks.com  NW topos  has everything you need

I agree, best mapping service for the NW.  They have all of the trails and topo maps that you need for the NW.

Garmain has free PC/MAC software to manage maps and data on the GPS, you download the Switchbacks stuff to your PC, then use the PC SW to load the GPS.  Also to retrieve tracks and waypoints from the GPS.  If you have tracks of unmapped trails/roads you can convert them to map overlays using GPX2IMG.

I save tracks from all of my rides, stored by date on my PC. The 60/74s use Garmin Mapsource, the later units Garmin Basecamp & MapInstall, although I use Mapsource to edit tracks/waypoints for my newer units because I prefer its user interface.

Best and IMO the only safe mount for the GPS is RAM,  available on line or at several local dealers (their distribution center is in South Park).  I have handle bar clamps on all of my bikes and a cradle for each GPS unit for easy mix n match. Using the Garmin handle bar mount is a guarantee for a lost GPS.

• Like 1

Chuck nailed it ... find yourself a cheaper old 60CSX with color and a ram mount and you'll be happy.  Ram mount has never failed me but I did fall and break it once ... having them local here I just drove to their place and they gave me the replacement for the broken mount ... nice folks!  And yes, Switchback.com and NW Topos are great ... plus I noticed Trail Tech just put up some trails at OHVTrails.net

thanks for all the info guys it is much appreciated.   what about the GLONASS compatibility in addition to GPS with the new units? this seem like a pretty desirable option to have.  

Edited by Rex Renolds

The US DOD GPS is the best in the world and it sure works in our part of the world. And  navigation in the woods is far from critical.

I doubt if GLONASS has enough sats inplace over the continental US to provide the kind of coverage provided by the US DOD system.  My Garmins usually track more than a half dozens sats.

Nice maybe but not needed for trail riding in the US. 

I'll add to what Byron said; the 60CSX is probably the best buy for trail use, it has all of the basic featiures needed for the woods. The 74CSX is the waterproof and floating marine sister to the 60CSX, just a slightly bigger case so it will float, buttons on the top rather than the bottom. Based on some ride reports posted on TT about sketchy bridges and river crossings at least your GPS will work after the bike drowns, or float away. You get more features with the next gen 62/76/Oregon but a more complicated user interface.

Edited by Chuck.

thank you for all the info Chuck it is greatly appreciated.  

Im sure the 60csx or the 74csx would indeed both be great choices.  I went shopping today locally and it sounds like both those units have been discounted, sadly :-(  I was eager and in a hurry to pick up a unit to play with this weekend so I went ahead and just purchased the 64st.   I'm sure that for trail riding alone it is indeed overkill as every one has said how ever I'm sure I will end up using it for more than just that.  I did like the idea of being able to use both GLONASS and GPS simultaneously as they "claim" it allows you to lock on” to a position more quickly.  The other big thing for me was the ability to use the birds eye satellite imaging with this unit.      Looks like 64st and the 74csx both have the same IPX7 water rating so that's a bonus as well.   

thanks again for the help every one. I'm sure I will have a few more questions for you all soon.

-Rex

Edited by Rex Renolds

Hi guys,

so I want to install both the trail and topo maps from the switchbacks site but am a little confused on the installation part. this unit came with the preinstalled maps from the factory and I'm worried about these maps being overwritten/deleted when installing the maps. how exactly do I go about renaming the already-uploaded map files to avoid overwriting from happening when I install the new maps from the site?

this is what specifically from the site I am referring to: The Northwest Trails mapset should overlay any other mapset present on your GPS unit. It is important to note that when you upload maps to your receiver, the existing mapset on the unit will be deleted. (Newer firmware versions on the Colorado and Oregon receivers allow for multiple map files to coexist on the units, but unless you remember to rename an already-uploaded map file, the new upload will be given the same default name as the existing one and overwrite it.) This means that if you want Northwest Trails to overlay City Navigator maps, for example, you will need to upload the chosen City Navigator maps along with Northwest Trails all at once. To switch between mapsets (if more than one has been loaded to your GPS) simply toggle the hide/show settings for the desired mapsets on your receiver.

Thank you for any info you may have to share

-Rex

Edited by Rex Renolds

Hi guys,

so I want to install both the trail and topo maps from the switchbacks site but am a little confused on the installation part.   this unit came with the preinstalled maps from the factory and I'm worried about these maps being overwritten/deleted when installing the maps.    how exactly do I go about renaming the already-uploaded map files to avoid overwriting from happening when I install the new maps from the site?  

this is what specifically from the site I am referring to:  The Northwest Trails mapset should overlay any other mapset present on your GPS unit. It is important to note that when you upload maps to your receiver, the existing mapset on the unit will be deleted. (Newer firmware versions on the Colorado and Oregon receivers allow for multiple map files to coexist on the units, but unless you remember to rename an already-uploaded map file, the new upload will be given the same default name as the existing one and overwrite it.) This means that if you want Northwest Trails to overlay City Navigator maps, for example, you will need to upload the chosen City Navigator maps along with Northwest Trails all at once. To switch between mapsets (if more than one has been loaded to your GPS) simply toggle the hide/show settings for the desired mapsets on your receiver.

Thank you for any info you may have to share

-Jake

Which unit? The topo maps have all the trails BTW. Trails is nice because there is less clutter on the screen without the topo lines,etc. problem is that the trails map does not include fs roads in all cases. You can easily toggle between them on my etrex but I just learned to use the map detail adjustment.

The previous post.  Depending on model you can download the factory map to the PC before you upload the Switchback maps, some later unit allow both maps on the GPS and you select which map to display, but I would download any previously installed maps to the PC as a first step so you don't lose them. 

I've found the Switchbacks.com topos to be of better and higher quality than the default Garmin maps.  I have US topos, Garmin 24k WA topos, and Switchback topos. IMO the Switchbacks topos are the best. The Switchbacks Trails also include DNR roads so that makes for an uncluttered screen.  For other areas you'll need both and you'll get the contour lines (although some models allow some control of displayed data at various  zoom levels.

Also carry paper maps so you can look at the big picture. I carry DNR maps when riding DNR areas, Green Trail maps (my fav) for Taneum and Gifford, as well as NFS maps and the required travel management guide when in a NF.  Because of the large size of the paper maps I trim them down to the size of the area I'll be riding, less bulk in the MSR Roost Pack. 

• Like 1

How do I go about saving the installed maps from my Garmin device to my computer? Do I simply drag the TAPO map from my device and and in to my library/collection in to base camp? I'm pretty sure that's it but don't want to take any chance of loosing the pre installed TOPO U.S 100K v.5.01 map.

Thank for any help guys

-Rex

Oh, and I'm using the GPSMAP 64st if that matters at all

Great info guys! I just picked up a used Garmin 60Cx from a buddy, looking forward to learning how to use it. Thanks for posting all this great info. -Ed

Have a look here for help with Basecamp. Don't even try using mapsource with the newer units. It will cause you problems.

http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com

If you prowl around a bit, you might find a Wiki for your new unit. If not, look at some of them for other newer units as they generally have similar features now.

I have a Montana (and 60csx for backup) and it works great. I really like the powered mount setup.

Have a look here for help with Basecamp. Don't even try using mapsource with the newer units. It will cause you problems.

http://garminbasecamp.wikispaces.com

If you prowl around a bit, you might find a Wiki for your new unit. If not, look at some of them for other newer units as they generally have similar features now.

I have a Montana (and 60csx for backup) and it works great. I really like the powered mount setup.

I agree about Mapsource use with the newer units and I should  clarify my statement in a prior post.  I use Mapsource for some editing tasks because I like its operation better than Basecamp, but not to upload to the newer GPS units, that is done with Basecamp. Basecamp automatically links to other GPS data on your PC including non Garmin stuff, mine even links to waypoint data created in MS Street & Trips.