Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r bad crank?

I have a 2006 crf450r, I was riding it the other day and it started making a funny noise almost like a slapping or rattling sound and it sounded like it was coming from the bottom end. I immediately shut it off and went home. As I was looking at it at home I would push the kick starter down with my hand and I can feel something as it comes down, I don't know how to describe it but I've never felt that before when kicking it. I don't know if its the crank bearing or the crank its self. Or if I'm even in the ball park on this one. I'm pretty mechanical inclined but I've only done top end rebuilds, the bottom end is a mystery to me 

The rattling is usually the cam chain slapping.. Those automatic cam chain tensioners are known to fail. If I was you I'd first check the oil filter for flakes and IF you don't find anything or only see a few then I'd remove the tank and valve cover and eye everything out and whether the cam chain is loose or not if go ahead and order a after market cam chain tensioner. Cheapest ones I've found were on eBay but there's nicer ones elsewhere. Let us know, Goodluck!