Sign in to follow this  

Kalispell Montana

Sadly I'm from bozeman but figured I would say hello to a fellow Montana ridder.

You would be better off contacting any number of riders in the Kalispell area regarding the riding - posting it for the world to see probably won't happen. Just go down to Rick's on Center street and ask around, someone will help you out.

• Like 1

You would be better off contacting any number of riders in the Kalispell area regarding the riding - posting it for the world to see probably won't happen. Just go down to Rick's on Center street and ask around, someone will help you out.

Never underestimate the stupidity of some. Many awesome places to ride have been ruined by an uniformed poster (or ten). I do like the fact that yer trying to keep it on the qt though.......Not everybody gets that you don't give away your best fishin hole, riding area, hunting spot etc.

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w

Yes, I concur, good advise for local MT beta.  Talk to someone local and let's leave this stuff off of the internets. 

Why? all the national forest trails are already posted on the internet. I guess I don't understand

Edited by jonrack

Why? all the national forest trails are already posted on the internet. I guess I don't understand

Not all of us ride on NFS trails, we have a lot off corporate private land in our area. Trails are supposed to be open when connected to public lands, the truth of  the matter is the more it's broadcast the more likely they will be closed for one reason or another. Call it conspiracy theory or whatever, but I've seen it happen too many times. Right now a large corporation in our area that owns a large area is cutting forest as quickly as they can and then after a while put parts of it up for sale. Montana Fish & Game then  work with them to shut down motorized in the area to protect wildlife until it rehabs, which will never happen as homes or the like will eventually occupy those areas.

As far as trails posted; most travel plans for public lands in Montana have not been updated for years - just try to get a map most Natl forests.

Not all of us ride on NFS trails, we have a lot off corporate private land in our area. Trails are supposed to be open when connected to public lands, the truth of the matter is the more it's broadcast the more likely they will be closed for one reason or another. Call it conspiracy theory or whatever, but I've seen it happen too many times. Right now a large corporation in our area that owns a large area is cutting forest as quickly as they can and then after a while put parts of it up for sale. Montana Fish & Game then work with them to shut down motorized in the area to protect wildlife until it rehabs, which will never happen as homes or the like will eventually occupy those areas.

As far as trails posted; most travel plans for public lands in Montana have not been updated for years - just try to get a map most Natl forests.

Thanks for the explanation.

I disagree with the last portion of your post: I think there's still a thread popping up that I started over 3 years ago (I asked for help finding bike trails too). It didn't take long and I found a lot of info on NF trails. I've georeferenced most SW and some central Montana NF trails using the travel plan or MVUM. Everything that I've ridden seems to be accurate and up-to-date (but certainly not maintained, which is fine by me). Wasn't there a 2012 deadline for the NF to have this available for free to the public? I could be wrong, just remember reading something like that online. I guess it doesn't matter :)

Many times something that is "common knowledge" gets posted, area gets inundated, area becomes hotly contested. Just sayin.......

Many times something that is "common knowledge" gets posted, area gets inundated, area becomes hotly contested. Just sayin.......

yeah, I get it. Edited by jonrack