Sign in to follow this  

2007 ktm450exc

I was looking for feedback from some one who has had a rfs engine ktm...

I'm currently looking at a 07 with around 260 hrs and 6000 miles with all stock engine internals... I've heard very good things as far as longevity but how many hours could you expect to have on a ktm before you need to start rebuilding ??

Overall great bike. I have just over 6000 miles on my '07. The only issue I've had was the intake valves.  The PO had the valves adjusted at 1600 miles and the intakes were zero'd out. When I bought the bike it had roughly 2000 miles on it and they were zero'd out again. It's a known issue with the later RFS motors and I could have kept adjusting them until the adjusters ran out of range but chose to yank the head and install Kibblewhite stainless intakes. As I recall the valve kit and gaskets were ~$200 and probably had another $100 in machine shop prepping the seats. Valve clearance has been solid ever since. Other than that not a bit of trouble.

• Like 1

By 2007, the bugs were worked out.....and then for 2008 KTM switched to a different engine (2007 SX had the new engine too). 

Valve/seat wear is dependant on how hard the bike was ridden. High revs will wear out faster.

If you can, pop the valve adjust covers and see how much adjustment is left. It doesn't require many tools and doesn't require draining coolant or oil.

Remove seat (8mm socket)

Remove tank (8mm socket for tank bolt and shroud bolts, pliers for fuel line clamp)

Unbolt the radiators from the frame (8mm socket with 6" extension)

Remove adjuster covers (10mm combination wrench or gear wrench, swivel head makes it easier)

Just make sure everything is clean before popping the covers.

You can check valve adjustment while the covers are off. Just search for instructions.

How many hours could I expect to get out of a top and if it was properly maintained

At 260 hours I would bet that the intake valves need replacing.  I got to 285 hours on my 525 and then had to do the valves and top end.  Ring, piston and cylinder needed replacing.  About $1K if you do the work.

Some people claim to get 500+ hrs on original valves and top end but that has to be an exception not the normal wear.  Riding conditions are bound to make a difference.

My 06 has almost 11000 mi and over 300 hours on it, much of this dusty desert riding. The valves need to be adjusted about every 35hrs or they will be tight at the 50 hr mark - I tried this one time. I have seen it written by engine builders for years that the rfs MOTOR IS GOOD TIL 10000MI AND 300 plus hours. After that its just a matter of time and its cheaper to rebuild before it blows than after. Mine is still running fine with no issues, but I know it is time.

As the previous posts have stated, intake valves need adjusted and can last hundreds of hours if properly taken care of. If the bike looks like it's been well maintained and the price is right buy it. Last of the RFS's. If the top end needs done, do it and you will have many years of riding this bike ahead of you.

I was looking for feedback from some one who has had a rfs engine ktm...

I'm currently looking at a 07 with around 260 hrs and 6000 miles with all stock engine internals... I've heard very good things as far as longevity but how many hours could you expect to have on a ktm before you need to start rebuilding ??

So knowing what you've read here it would be safe to assume that a $1000 bucks in maintenance is coming maybe you should spend a little more on a fresher bike. Food for thought