Sign in to follow this  

04 kx250f wont kick start

Hey guys I'm new to the forums world and also to the 4 stroke world. I have a 2004 kx250f that wont kickstart when its hot and warmed up. It will bump start easy just wont kick start. When its cold it will fire first or second kick everytime just not when its hot. Can any please help me. Thanks

Hey guys I'm new to the forums world and also to the 4 stroke world. I have a 2004 kx250f that wont kickstart when its hot and warmed up. It will bump start easy just wont kick start. When its cold it will fire first or second kick everytime just not when its hot. Can any please help me. Thanks

First thing you do, before any kicks, is pull in the hot start.  Do not open the throttle, because doing that pumps gas into the head just like a squirt gun.  It's called an accelerator pump, and it is there to get gas into the cylinder when the throttle is opened at lower RPMs.  More gas in a hot motor = flooding, because hot is less dense, therefore the mixture won't combust as readily.  The hot start lever introduces more air (relative to gas) into the system to compensate for the hot motor.  If pulling it in before kicking doesn't help, make sure it is working properly.  If you get the motor to idle and pull in the hot-start the RPMs should increase.  That is a good sign it is working.  

The other problems with hot starting can be as simple as a float set too high, or a fuel screw set too rich, or maybe even too big a pilot jet.  If you plan to keep the bike for any length of time (like the season) buy an R&D remote fuel screw.  Makes life a lot easier, and you will use it more than you think.  

Hopefully just the starting procedure will help you out, then you can get back to riding.  Also there are lots of topics on hot start issues if you search for them in this forum.  Good luck!

So when I pull the lever in do I hold it while I kick it and let it go when it starts?

Yup.  Keep it held in until it starts.  Then let it go.

Ok thank you for your help. I really appreciate. Im lost lol ive always had a 2 stroke. This bike runs awesome and I love 4 strokes now. I just wasn't sure if this was normal for them or not

Ok thank you for your help. I really appreciate. Im lost lol ive always had a 2 stroke. This bike runs awesome and I love 4 strokes now. I just wasn't sure if this was normal for them or not

You came to the right place.  Lots of good guys on TT, especially this forum.