Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Does the loctite CS fix limit changing the front sprocket often?

I just got a set of 17" Warp9 wheels and am considering changing the ratios on the dirt wheels to something like 13/44 for dirt and 15/42 for street. I *think* the chain length should be about the same, but now I'm worried about changing the front sprocket often.

Will pulling it on and off often prematurely wear the splines? Will that contribute to the problem that the loctite fix..er, fixes?

It's a relatively unused bike, just 1850kms and the CS sprocket is tight as a tiger. I planned on doing the loctite fix on it anyway.. but I'd hate to have to heat the damn thing and use a puller every time to get the sprocket off. Hell, I'm not crazy about changing the front sprocket at all, but I can't see how I can get super short 1st gear in the trails and not be buzzy like a mad bee on the highway with the smaller 17" rear wheel without changing either the front sprocket or using a different length chain for each set.

I'm guessing that something like blue loctite on just the nut isn't really much of an answer eh? It seems the idea of the loctite is to stop the sprocket from slopping as opposed to just securing the nut from backing out unless I have that all wrong.

If the sprocket has limited slop, could I just get away with checking the torque on the CS nut every couple weeks?

A simple puller makes it easy.  Red Loctite on the splines.  Skip the Loctite on the threads. Use the bend-over lock washer and replace it after 4 or 5 times of use.

Yes, you could skip the Loctite altogether, but I wouldn't.

Skip loctite on the threads.. ok, that actually makes a little more sense. All the tools in my garage and I don't have a puller, so I'll grab one and do this. Thanks!