Sign in to follow this  

Throttle Control While Standing...

...I am AWFUL at it right now.

Tips I've been given are grip the tank tighter with the knees and try to hold myself up more with more core to be able to have a light grip on the bar, hence, the throttle. I can do it, have a lighter grip, if I am holding a steady speed but, the instant I need more, I lose my balance and start gooning it up, hucking back and forth trying to regain a centered balance.

I am told it is quite amusing to watch but, that is not my goal, to be a clown, to amuse people.

Help. Please. And thank you.

You have to anticipate the acceleration and deceleration.  The trick is to lean forward just before you accelerate and lean back when braking.  After more practice it will come natural.

Maybe you're standing up too tall. You're off the seat, but still in a position where you're not way up off the bike. Knees bent, head over the bars.

You have to anticipate the acceleration and deceleration.  The trick is to lean forward just before you accelerate and lean back when braking.  After more practice it will come natural.

That sounds like solid advice. Make sure your bikes ergonomics are conducive to riding standing up.

well you're not alone, I recently made the switch from 2t to a 450, and I notice my wrists just dont seem to have enough bend while standing to really get on the gas. If I try to change to an over grip, Im in big trouble of whiskey throttle over chop. Id consider a quick turn throttle, but Im wondering if thats the wrong direction to go in situations like this.

I was thinking about that, simply time. That makes my appreciation for good riders that much higher. 

Maybe you're standing up too tall. You're off the seat, but still in a position where you're not way up off the bike. Knees bent, head over the bars.

Good point. I was checking out the Ronnie Mac thread and, watching the vid, even though Mac is obviously exagerating, getting WAY back in the saddle, it did make me think about a more athletic, as opposed to too tall, position. I'll have to check that. 

Thanks

That sounds like solid advice. Make sure your bikes ergonomics are conducive to riding standing up.

I feel comfortable standing and doing small jumps, landing. I think it's poor technique first, then blame the bike.  LOL 

well you're not alone, I recently made the switch from 2t to a 450, and I notice my wrists just dont seem to have enough bend while standing to really get on the gas. If I try to change to an over grip, Im in big trouble of whiskey throttle over chop. Id consider a quick turn throttle, but Im wondering if thats the wrong direction to go in situations like this.

I think we're riding a little bit tomorrow night. I want to check the position of my clutch before going out, for sure, because, as is, I am struggling to keep a finger on it while standing and I am thinking if I can keep a figner on the clutch, I can help myself a bit with a little feathering to smooth out my classic huck a buck. I think if I rotate down some, it might help.

Use your feet... make the bike push you instead of letting it pull you. Getting forward while standing and weighting the front of the pegs will allow this to happen. The more you practice it, the more comfortable it will become. My guess is that your are putting too much pressure on your hands even though your grip has loosened. Once you are comfortable with the bike pushing you, transferring your weight back while maintaining throttle control will come naturally.

I noticed one of my buddies (who is one of the fastest guys on our local scene) would go out and ride his first 3 or 4 laps standing the entire time and never jumped a single jump. I asked him why he did it and he said it get warmed up and loose, warms up his "muscle memory", and helps him find his balance. Give it a shot off the track. I tried it on the track and tipped over about 20 times. We went out in a field behind the track and he showed me what I should focus on. He had me practice chopping the throttle (transferring weight back and forth), braking (again transferring weight), shifting while standing (to help with foot movement and keeping yourself loose on the bike), and turning (balance). I noticed that by practicing those things on my first few laps around the track each time out I stand a lot more now than I used to which really improved my form in most situations. Specifically in situations that were uncomfortable to stand and get into the attack position in before. He has a turn track at his house that we hit as fast as possible and his dad comes out and throws stones at us if we sit lol. It really does help. Just give it a shot... its free to try. Hope this helps and keep us posted on what you figure out.

It is one of my weak areas too but I am getting more comfortable standing every time I ride which tells me that I am standing a lot more than I realize.

Edited by BDubb106

Use your feet... make the bike push you instead of letting it pull you. Getting forward while standing and weighting the front of the pegs will allow this to happen. The more you practice it, the more comfortable it will become. My guess is that your are putting too much pressure on your hands even though your grip has loosened. Once you are comfortable with the bike pushing you, transferring your weight back while maintaining throttle control will come naturally.

Yup. For sure, putting too much weight on my arms and hands. Great tips! I think you, and some others said the same thing, hit it; just need more riding time.

Thanks! And I am totally with your buddy; I need to work up a good sweat before I can relax and start getting into it.

Good stuff.

• Like 1

...I am AWFUL at it right now.

Tips I've been given are grip the tank tighter with the knees and try to hold myself up more with more core to be able to have a light grip on the bar, hence, the throttle. I can do it, have a lighter grip, if I am holding a steady speed but, the instant I need more, I lose my balance and start gooning it up, hucking back and forth trying to regain a centered balance.

I am told it is quite amusing to watch but, that is not my goal, to be a clown, to amuse people.

Help. Please. And thank you.

When standing and on the throttle hard, even if your body position is way forward and you're gripping with your knees it's still takes some strength to hold yourself forward. The good thing is that you don't have to use this strength very long. Check out this free Body Positions and Movements DVD preview. http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-1-body-positions-and-movements

There is so much to know about Body Positions and Movements. That's why I started my Volume 3 MX Technique DVD Series (8 DVDs) with this first title. If you're a guy who just wants to go dirt bike riding for shits and giggles with your buddies then these DVDs aren't for you. But if you want to get better results they are the next best thing to having private lessons with a pro instructor. These DVDs include all the techniques I used to train McGrath, Villopoto, Windham, Dowd, Lusk, Roncada, Fonseca and many other pro and amateur racers. They also show you the drills and practice methods so you can learn them fast. 

Use this discount code and get an additional 10% off any DVD, Value Pack or Stream: TTGSMXS58 

Edited by Gary_Semics
  • Like 1