Sign in to follow this  

Bike security

Bike security while camping is becoming important to me, and I've always wondered what's the best way to lock things up, and how easy is it really to break chains, etc..  Has anyone got experiences to share? 

Also I learned a ton from this video.  In particular, generally all of the chains were "good" and would probably stop the casual thief or druggie with hand held bolt cutters.  But they definitely will not stop a pro or determined thief.  Also it's super important that you keep the chains up off the ground to make them more difficult to attack:

Does anyone know where to find the chain that this guy mentions?  The chain sounds similar to the video above, but it sounds like you might not have to pay for the "name brand":

I use a heavy chain and loop I through rear swing arm and around a sturdy anchor like a three, or support post of a structure etc. Then I run a thick cable lock through the forks and front wheel. Lastly I use the handle bar lock to prevent the bars from going straight. To me that's enough. If anyone want to take it badly enough they will, that's what insurance is for.

I use an ON-Guard chain through front wheel and frame. You could add another to lock to another bike. You could also add an alarmed disk lock. I've heard mixed review's mostly about the alarms going off by them self's but I've been giving them serious thoughts.

Do a forum search on disk lock's.

I believe the germans have an issue with motorcycle thefts

http://www.abus.com/eng/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

I will be carrying my 450 EXC on a camping trip this summer. I have a carrier for rear of my class c motorhome. It is solid steel and pin in receiver is locked. I have a thick cable with master lock to secure bike to carrier in transit. I am also converting the bike to street legal and adding on a keyed kill switch. When off the carrier I will cable lock the bike at my campsite to the picnic table if it is metal framed and tied down. I am also adding a camera system so I can back the motorhome up more safely and keep an eye on the bike in transit.

We all know that professionals or determined thieves will get what you have, but you can probably deter most casual thieves by making it very inconvenient to steal, or at least more inconvenient than the next guys bike. 

I've learned that cables are basically worthless.  The security chains at least take some effort to cut, so if you can keep them off the ground where someone cannot use their body weight to help with the cutting then they're reasonably good, but cables cut like celery. 

I just picked up a Spot Trace and hid it on my bike, so if someone gets it at least I'll have some idea where the bike might be.  It takes a couple of minutes to detect that your bike has moved, but with their base plan you get GPS coordinates every 5 minutes that it's moving, and you get the GPS coordinate to where it stopped moving, all via satellite so no cell network necessary.  When the bike is inside my garage the GPS coordinates are off by a few feet which is expected, but it's still able to send coordinates to the satellite which I was pleasantly surprised by.  I just installed it the other day, but a quick test around the back yard shows that it seems to work as advertised. 

FF the video below to 2:30 to see how easy cables cut with a bolt cutter.

this is why I park my bikes in the garage and don't leave them anywhere there is not a fair bite of public traffic or where I can't see them. Freakin' thieves! Off with their heads!

As with anything, we're looking for the 98% rule.  The pros or really serious bad guys will have one of those (or battery powered hydraulic bolt cutters), but 98% of potential thieves probably won't.  So my goals are to make it difficult enough so that (1) on camping trips they'll go to the next bike, or wake me up trying to get mine, and (2) slow down the local teenager or druggie long enough that the police will arrive before they get it unchained (house alarm calls the police).  For the rest there is insurance, but I'm not going to give it to them easily. 

• Like 2

Disc locks with built in alarms are good. I have a disc lock front and back, then run a hardened chain through both back wheels{ House mates bike as well}. That will keep the honest thieves at bay. How di I know? A scumbag tried to take them one day. I still have 2 bikes but a damaged garage door.

• Like 1

I read an article about a former m/c theft.  Basically, he said to buy a good quality disc lock ($100+)and not the $29.99 disc locks which the locking mechanism are easy to defeat.  He said a lot of bike owners would buy a good quality chain and then go cheap on the lock.  He would cut the lock and take the bike.  He also said if the bike was secured with a good disc lock and good quality chain and lock he would pass and look for another bike that was easier to steal.

If you notice in both videos they place one handle of the bolt cutters on the ground and use their body weight on the other handle to give them the mechanical advantage to cut the various chains.  What I learned from both videos, if possible keep your chains and lock off the ground so thieves can't use the mechanical advantage.

The pros are going to steal your bike no matter what security devices you use.  IMO I don't think too many thieves are going to be carrying a 4' pair of bolt cutters.  I also use the technique of putting a heavy duty pad lock through the chain and rear sprocket on my dirt bike. 

• Like 1

Good point. I will be traveling this summer in a motorhome with bike on back. Carrier will be secured to receiver. I will invest in a hardened chain collared lock and disc lock/alarm that I will activate when stopped or bike is off carrier. I installed a backup camera so I can keep an eye on the bike while traveling.

We always lock our bikes together but I've also thought about a motion detector set at a spot that is unlikely to be set off by animals.  The noise should be enough to scare the crap out of them and wake me up.

Used OnGaurd chain and lock. Super heavy duty for trip. Overkill probably, but I have put a lot of work into getting this bike to a street legal Enduro.

I ended up getting a 16mm thick boron steel chain long enough to go through the bikes and abus lock. It was $500 and weighs nearly 40# but bolt cutters won't get through it that's for sure.

lockchain.jpg