USWE SPORTS ACTION HYDRO PACKS GIVEAWAYS!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2010 FE 390 Replacing Radiator hoses with Silicone help!

So my radiator plastic T connection broke while idling the bike the other day.  Needless to say not fun as I was just letting it idle outside while I did some chores (hadnt been on it in weeks and wanted to run some gas through it). Looked outside to a huge puddle under it and ran out and shut it down immediately. YUCK!!!! Heart sank... how long has it been running without coolant??? Soooooo. I decided to just replace with the Silicone (sp) radiator hoses that bypass the thermostat. I NEED HELP as I can not find any decent instructions anywhere for this replacement. I was wondering if I need to do anything besides just placing the new lines on? Do I have to change anything else? Do anything else to the bike for the switch?

If you have done this swap and have a comment please let me know. I just dont want to mess up and screw anything up. Im no mechanic but feel that I have good common sense and have done quite a bit of trouble-shooting on this bike since the purchase. (fuel pump fell apart inside gas tank for starters lol, that was fun to figure out). Thanks for your support and information!

I changed mine out and did away with the t-stat. Nothing really hard about doing it and no tricks to it. If you did the fuel pump with no problems then this should be a cake walk for you!

is there a downside to eliminating the thermostat?

aside.. I never let my bike sit and idle for more than a minute or so at a time.

W/o a thermostat to maintain a minimum temperature, the motor will take alot longer to get warmed up to operating temperature, and if riding in the winter, may never get up to operating temp. In any case, the cylinder and rings won't seal properly for optimum combustion. You wind up w/ less power, lower fuel economy, increased pollution.

Two possible outcomes from eliminating a thermostat. One is that the bike can actually overheat as the thermostat stops the flow of coolant and allows the rad to cool it down, then opens and the cool coolant enters and the hot coolant cools down, The second is the coolant will not come up to temperature as stated prior, have seen both outcomes. If your bike is computer controlled eg: fuel inj, then it requires a thermostat to maintain a temp for sensor monitoring and fuel management. All pending on if you have a fan or not and how the system flows? The hose replacement is great as the hoses are much better than OEM and will hold up better, but a well maintained bike will run fine with OEM as this is what they are engineered with. Most likely the reason your hose let go, is due to idling the bike standing still. Bikes are not meant to idle and will overheat in a few min without air flow, The bike most likely heated hot and then released the rad cap and result loosing coolant and then heating hotter as per the lost coolant. Not a good idea to start your bike unless going for a ride. A bike is much better left all winter without starting than starting and running for a bit. This will actually cause condensation from heating up and cooling down. If you start your bike, you should always make sure it is ran for quite a while to ensure everything is heated and evaporated off and this can not be achieved during idle. Sorry for the long babble, just don't want to see you overheat and damage your bike :) Hope it was helpful :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the info FE350. I'll leave my thermostat on for now