Sign in to follow this  

Hot right heel

Something on the bike is dumping a lot of heat into my right heel. When the bike is running hot, it's almost unbearable, and I wear a good set of Carolina waterproof work boots (motocross boots are too expensive for me right now). The strange thing is when I check my posture and look near where my heel sits, the exhaust is nowhere near that. I don't see what could be getting that hot. If it was the exhaust, I would expect my knee and calf to be getting the heat, not my heel.

Anybody else had this problem?

Edited by mott555

Something on the bike is dumping a lot of heat into my right heel. When the bike is running hot, it's almost unbearable, and I wear a good set of Carolina waterproof work boots (motocross boots are too expensive for me right now). The strange thing is when I check my posture and look near where my heel sits, the exhaust is nowhere near that. I don't see what could be getting that hot. If it was the exhaust, I would expect my knee and calf to be getting the heat, not my heel.

Anybody else had this problem?

better go see the doctor .....  :lol:  because there must be something wrong with you ...  :p

all kidding aside I honestly do not see how that can happen ....  :excuseme:

2013-Honda-CRF250L-Engine.jpg

• Like 2

never had that happen... i wear fox comp5's or sears black workboots... i only feel heat on my left knee... (from the radiator) and thats in 105*f temps down to 60*f (roughly)

do you have a skid plate? i don't know if they redirect air flow. so this is why i am asking... 

• Like 1

better go see the doctor .....  :lol:  because there must be something wrong with you ...  :p

all kidding aside I honestly do not see how that can happen ....  :excuseme:

2013-Honda-CRF250L-Engine.jpg

unlessssss. he has his feet up on the "speed pegs". it is right by the exhaust then  :thinking: ...  i know i like to stand on the back pegs, then fold my body down into a super tuck position when i am doing about 85mph on this beast..... :prof:

lol.... just kidding... yeah, i don't see how...   unless its a blood flow thing...  i know if i cut off blood flow to my leg or arm, before it goes numb i get a super hot flash feeling... maybe i am just crazy...  

• Like 2

I know it seems crazy because I can't even find anything there that's dumping heat. I even felt around with my bare hands and couldn't find anything hot, yet my boot was very hot to the touch.

I haven't installed a skid plate, so I don't know what's there stock. It has to be some kind of strange airflow thing, or maybe a tiny exhaust leak pointed right at my boot from above. If you guys haven't seen it before there must be something odd about my bike.

Standing on the passenger pegs while riding woods...that sounds like great Failblog material.

• Like 1

To be more specific, it's the left and back side of my right heel directly above my sole, and goes up about halfway to my ankle. I don't think it's a blood flow thing because the boot is hot to the touch when it happens. Unless my metabolism is seriously screwed up somehow :crazy:

Edited by mott555
  • Like 1

maybe you're being followed by drones and that is where the laser tracking is fixed upon .....  :thinking:

......  :lol:

• Like 2

Mystery solved. I tend to dig into and grip the engine case with my boot. I'm not sure why I mostly feel it in my heel area, must just be a spot more sensitive to heat.

The engine case gets hot, but not horribly hot, so I don't have to worry about burning up my boots like I was afraid of if it was my exhaust.

• Like 1

Hi Mott 

The stock exhaust has a weep hole where the muffler joins the pipe, maybe possible some gas blows out of there into the location you suggest  :thinking:

• Like 1

if you are getting that kind of heat in your heal I hope you don't ride offroad much I think your toes are pointed down and offroad sooner or later that's going to hurt you wont have to worry about heat

• Like 1

if you are getting that kind of heat in your heal I hope you don't ride offroad much I think your toes are pointed down and offroad sooner or later that's going to hurt you wont have to worry about heat

My boy did that last year on his CRF80F and he was 11 years old ..... I came around the turn in the woods and he was stopped in the middle of the trail with his arms crossed and his head on the bars. I could not figure out what happened as he was in tears and kept saying he broke his foot over and over. He did not crash or fall so, I got him off the trail and sat him on a log to remove his MX boot .... after a little inspection and I believed it was not broken I had him rest a little then walk it off some and then we rode the day out. He was sore for a few days after but, what I found out happened was .... he had his toes pointed down and just buzzing down the trail and his toes caught a stump ...  :eek:

I took some of the blame because earlier in the day when he was on a MX track I was pushing him to sit way forward in the turns after he washed it out  couple times. I think after he got the hang of it and realized how much better traction he got ... he just applied it to the woods a little too much. 

I am sure this has happened to most of us at least once .... I do not think it will happen again as now I think he understands me when I say keep on the balls of your feet and only move your feet up to shift or brake ...  :prof:

learning curves can suck ...  :facepalm:

• Like 1