Sign in to follow this  

2014 KTM 300XC which skid plate?

I bought a 2014 KTM 300xc and i'm now looking for a skid plate. Has anyone used the factory six days plastic skid plate? I heard its durable and I like that it clips on and off rather easy. I ride a variety of New England terrain.

My biggest concern with an aluminum skid is the added weight and I head it can rub the paint off the frame on these bikes.

I've always used the aluminum plates, because the anchors for any skikplate are metal and that's where the paint comes off. 

The eight is insignificant, but weight adds up with all the extras we run to make our bikes ready for the woods.  I took off my 9 lb estarter, battery, etc and I could def feel that weight.

I have always run aluminum skid plates on my other bikes and I am running the factory six days plastic skid plate on my 300 XC and it has taken a beating and very durable.  I was reluctant at first, but after several rocky tree rooted rides I am a believer of this skid plate.  It was easy to install and love how quick and easy it is to take off and on when washing or servicing the bike compared to my previous mounted aluminum skid plates.  Hope this helps you out on your decision?

I put a plastic SRT skid plate on my 14 300 XC and I am happy with it. As it was pretty cheap and I don't plan on taking it on and off at all. Install wasn't bad and it seems durable enough for the price. If I had to do if over I would spend the extra money and get the TM design works plastic plate. I am not really a big fan of aluminum plates.

I have the T.M. design works plastic, I'm very happy with it. It comes off easy just remove one screw and loosen four others, it's got some scars but is holding up well and best of all it makes no noise like aluminum does

I've had the 6 days...worked great until I bashed something really hard and lit got ripped off during a race.  But it gave me 2 years of good service.  Currently I have the TM plastic skid plate on one bike and the enduro engineering aluminum one on the other.  I don't notice any weight difference...I don't think anyone really can.  FWIW, I am a litttle more confident bashing things with my aluminum skid plate but honestly I just feel that way because its metal.  Neither of my plastic ones gave me a reason to doubt their durability

I originally put the six days quick release plate on my '13 300XC. It is well made but my complaint was it offered little to no protection for the cases. Meaning it doesn't wrap up around the cases. I ended up swapping it out for the TMD plate. Much better protection.

I have the T.M. design works plastic, I'm very happy with it. It comes off easy just remove one screw and loosen four others, it's got some scars but is holding up well and best of all it makes no noise like aluminum does

I have started putting these on my bikes. I broke 2 KTM (Acerbis) hard plastic plates this year. However, I've had one of those last for years on my dual sport. YMMV

For the gnarliest terrain, I like TM Designs.