Sign in to follow this  

Timing chain

I have the 91 dr350 dirt model... Noticed yesterday after a long day of riding that my timing chain was definitly louder then it was before. I can hear it slapping... I have no idea when and or if it's ever been replaced. I'm gonna go with never. How can I check and see how much, if any , room or clicks the tensioner has left? How do I check it out? I backed out the bolt on the head, thought it might be an inspection hole? Wasn't. Now it's even worse. Need some help!

Don't let Monday ruin your Sunday!

The bolt I backed out appeared to be the rear guide boss bolt?

No one has changed their own timing chain?? Got a hold of Greg Bender, he shed some light...

to check wear you take off the auto tensioner and see how extended it is:

kdk_1147.jpg

The spring is removed first to stop it ratcheting out as its removed. To double-check, extend it fully, and see how far in the tensioner is within the engine:

kdk_1151.jpg

If its like this its maxed out and will need doing …

Edited by thedktor

I removed the tensioner retaining bolt on the cylinder like a idiot! Dropped tensioner immediatly... Took off the head, fished it out and put bolt back through. I am maxed out, but the deflection is within spec... Think maybe I was hearing things that were possible valve related and perhaps a somewhat loose spring. Thanks for the help. I bought the manual;)

Was startin to think I was on my own here. Every other thread I read is folks trying to figure out how to start the bike!!

Play safe, bite the bullet and replace it. I didn't realise how loud mine was until I replaced it! Not a massive job to do, I made the mistake of starting the job without a tool to hold the clutch (I think it was that, a while ago now) so I ended up having to make one. I think that's the only special tool needed for it. Wouldn't have thought you'd hear a loose valve spring unless somethings seriously not right in the top end though, they're tight as a nuns wotsit usually.

Done! Wasn't bad repair at all...'couple hours

Why is your tensioner guide slapping around? What did u see when u popped off the clutch cover? The tensioner is loose? Meaning the guide? I'm not talking about the auto ratcheting part...

Wow! That guide has to be cracked or not bolted up top.

How'd u make out??